World Vision Uganda is a Christian relief, development and advocacy non-government organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 82 districts in Uganda implementing projects in health & nutrition, water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH), livelihoods & community resilience, education and child protection. World Vision (WV) is committed to the protection of children and adult beneficiaries from exploitation and abuse and will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with the beneficiaries above. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
Due to expansion in scope of our programmes, we are now seeking for qualified and passionate individuals willing to share in our vision and join our team in the position below.
Position: Hygiene and Sanitation Officer
Report to: Regional Programme Manager
Location: Hoima District
Purpose of the position:
To provide WASH technical support and capacity building on sanitation and hygiene in project area and network within the sector with various stakeholders to achieve World Vision’s child well-being outcomes in the Cluster of residence. This is a Regional position and the incumbent will run all the WASH programming in the region.
- Build capacity of HSAs and Program Officers Health to implement WASH activities in target communities Health Care facilities and schools to fulfill child wellbeing out comes.
- Work closely with cluster managers to provide guidance on needs assessment and validation of the Area Program annual DIPs/cashflows with clear WASH integration for each AP.
- Provide guidance in development of annual budget and annual activity plans for all WASH activities in the region and ensure they are implemented on time and on budget meeting the required standard and quality in each AP;
- Compile and submit WASH monthly and quarterly reports to the RPM and WASH Programme Manager, including reviewing WASH PNS reports to ensure compliancy to donor`s and sector standards before sharing with National Office or support office.
- Work in close collaboration with the AP Cluster CSDF, ensuring that WASH implementation is effectively integrated into AP programming through frequent dialogue and support;
- Ensure proactive project management of WASH PNS in the region through strong adherence to program quality standards, monitoring, evaluation and learning and evidence based decisions.
- Provide technical backstopping and guidance to Hygiene and Sanitation Assistants/POs and the AP CSDFs who are responsible for WASH projects within assigned area of operation.
- Document programme impact stories/ good practices and any other key learning areas on WASH for scaling up.
- Annual appraisal of line managed staff against responsibilities, and that the rest of the team has met the requirement
- Ensure close collaboration and working relationship with relevant Central Government agencies, Local Government department staff and other Partners in the region.
- Participate and where necessary lead development of new WASH PNS concept/proposals by providing the GAM team with WASH technical and timely information that as might be required overtime.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- A degree in Environmental Health Science, Public Health or related disciplines from a recognized University.
- Post graduate diploma in project planning and management from a recognized institution.
- Very strong knowledge about CLTS, Follow up Mandona, CHAST, PHAST and sanitation marketing methods are added advantage
- Knowledge of PRA methods and willingness to live in the rural communities in the project areas
- Registration with allied health professional’s council is added advantage
- Good Computer skills and ability to write technical reports.
- Good at documenting Programme impact/success stories
- Experience in implementing health, and WASH related activities of not less than 5 years and the current position should be at supervisory role, preferably within an International NGO
- Must possess good communication skills and be courteous in working with communities.
- Ability to build effective teams, promote coordination and collaboration
- Must be able to ride a motor cycle with a clean riders’ license, class A
- Must be fluent in applicable local Languages and English.
- Experience in proposal writing and lobbying.
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
- Willing to attend and participate/lead in daily devotions and weekly Chapel services.
- Perform other duties as required.