You will be required to produce a current (within 3 months) Original Police Clearance Certificate or waiting receipt during interview In case you are shortlisted
Job Title : Security Advisor
Reporting to: National Director
Grade Level: 16
Work Location : Nairobi
Purpose of Position
Lead the security function ensuring World Vision Kenya security management is fit for purpose. To provide advisory services for all aspects of security management at World Vision Kenya to create an environment which enables World Vision Kenya to deliver programs safely, securely and effectively.
The position holder must be able to live out and communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that serves as an example to others and undertake all work with due regard to the safeguarding and protection of children, and to health and safety requirements and with due regard to best practice and legal requirements relating to diversity and equality.
Security Advisory 40%
- Provide security advice and technical guidance as it relates to World Vision Kenya’s operating contexts and during critical incidents.
- Manage risk thresholds across program activity by designing and implementing, a security operations plan to facilitate an environment that enables World Vision Kenya deliver programs safely, securely and effectively.
- Lead National Office Incident Management (IM) capability. Ensure a reliable IMT response from the National Office, lead Incident Management training and build capacity of field teams synergizing National Office and OCS responses. Liaise with national authorities and stakeholders during crises.
- Ensure appropriate and timely collection, analysis and dissemination of security information to the National Director and staff. Establish early warning systems.
- Business partner with department Heads to manage security risks associated with World Vision Kenya’s strategy objectives: advocacy, media, philanthropy and partnerships, community engagement etc.
- Develop and ensure proper implementation and regular reviews and updates to the Security Standard Operating Procedures for all National Office work locations and situations.
- In consultation with the Regional Security Director, ensure integration of internationally acceptable security standards during resources acquisition and program delivery ensuring security is considered and resourced.
- Monitor security compliance status for World Vision Kenya and inform the National Director of any concerns for timely mitigation.
- Develop Contingency plans for World Vision Kenya operations in high-risk areas. Contingency plans to include evacuation protocols and arrangements for staff, major mobile assets and critical documentation.
- Identify areas whereby the National Security Management requires external support and advice on obtaining the needed external support.
- Develop and manage the annual security budget recommending security investment to the National Director and field operations. Control purchase and issue of security related equipment and services at the National Office.
- Identifying and communicating internal training opportunities related to Safety and Security for staff and providing guidance on external training provision.
Security Operations & Risk management 30%
- Support development of field-based security plans, analysis and training for safe programming. Identify offices or programs that require safety improvements, advise best practice in relation to context and financial capacity.
- Lead and develop appropriate security policies and crisis management plans ensuring they are continually applied.
- Assess if Security Risk Assessments, Country Risk Ratings and Core Security Requirement standards, training, processes and procedures are completed in accordance with current Office of Corporate Security guidelines and training
- Develop a security training plan for SAINT, SRMT training.
- Promote a positive security culture in alignment with policies, Core Security Requirements and a thorough communications plan.
- Ensure that Participatory Profile Management Plans are developed with stakeholders at all levels of WVK operations to determine WV acceptance.
- Build systems to train staff toward and maintain an effective security culture throughout the National Office
- Ensure that all Security projects are established and executed within current international ‘good practice’ project management standards.
- Ensure organizational security and the mitigation of operational risks for ministry effectiveness are optimized.
- Ensure Country Security Risk Ratings are reviewed on quarterly basis in order to inform implementation of Core Security Requirements
- Ensure that all staff and visitors are properly trained and inducted on personal security and kept updated by regular sharing of security updates
- In Collaboration with the Administration department, ensure that all security related OSH risks are mitigated and regular training, drills and audits are conducted regularly to ensure security incident preparedness.
- Ensure that the Security Risk Assessments (SRA) are conducted and reviewed as informed by the Security Ratings and Security Risk Assessment recommendations are implemented in line with SRA within acceptable timelines.
- Ensure timely reporting of any security incidences in accordance to the World Vision Security Policies
- Lead in conducting Security related investigations and provide recommendations for risk mitigation
- Ensure that all World Vision Kenya premises, residential facilities and all premises where world Vision conducts its business are properly assessed and are secure before use by WV staff or guests.
- Maintain and update Security Risk register on Riskonnect ensuring that all security risks are identified and risk mitigation measures provided. Advise risk committee and directors risk mitigation measures and resources requirements, work to minimize World Vision Kenya’s risk exposure.
- All security incidents are reported in accordance with WV Security Policy and follow up done. .
- Provide leadership to a security team through supervision, coaching, and mentoring.
- 100% security briefing/orientation to all new staff and visitors to WVK
Advocacy, Research, Networking and External Liaison/Engagement 20%
- Establish, manage and nurture relationships and networks with senior executives of government, UN, interagency bodies, and private corporations involved in the sector for networking and sharing of information.
- Develop and maintain contacts with the military authorities as appropriate and in line with World Vision International Civil Military guidelines.
- Ensure organizational knowledge and capacity is present, utilized and monitored to determine impact of policy and tools on the quality of our work and safety and security of staff.
- Liaise and engage with the Inter Agency Security sub Working Group (IAWG) and International NGO Safety Organization (INSO) and ensure information from these groups is disseminated to relevant staff.
- Ensure security systems and mechanisms for institutionalizing an organizational culture and practice of safety and security are established.
- Maintain Contact with Office of Corporate Security regarding national office security strategy.
Team Management 5%
- Model a high standard of personal Christian leadership, ministry and integrity through lifestyle and work relationships that support spiritual development of the team.
- In close collaboration with P&C, ensure right program staff are recruited, retained, and provided with intentional opportunities, mentoring and coaching for development.
- Assess and plan for staff capacities/competencies.
- Engage appropriate Subject Matter Experts for identified training gaps
- Facilitate capacity building of staff on technical areas through trainings, workshops, On the Job Training and technical backstopping etc.
- Provide effective leadership to staff within the unit ensuring that professional development activities, including appraisals, monitoring and needed training and mentoring activities are successfully carried out
- Provide Staff supervision and guidance to ensure overall quality and comprehensive management of the docket.
Other duties 5%
- Participate in committee & Task forces requiring security input or guidance.
- Any other duty that may be assigned by the National Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in either Armed Conflict and Peace Studies, Criminology and Security Studies, , Security Management , Security and Disaster Management, Forensic and Criminal Investigations or related fields.
- Master’s Degree in a security related field is an added advantage. Self-management/resilience and emotional maturity.
- Senior level HQ and field experience with INGO or similar background.
- At least 7 years’ experience in a proven security field (public, private, and government or NGO sectors), four of which must be in management
- Police/Law Enforcement Training
- Radio and/or Satellite phone communications experience, operations and management
- Sound knowledge of the security risk assessment process, security & contingency planning and crises management in the humanitarian context.
- Expert in security best practice, risk management and crisis response in conflict zones.
- Able to set strategic direction and culture for organizational security function and policy.
- Can develop operational security plans and key performance objectives for field programs.
- Experienced line manager with knowledge of remote management and staff mentoring.
- Concise communicator with ability to navigate contentious issues and convey complex themes to advise senior leaders and trustees. Strong ability to deliver written and verbal briefs.
- Strong knowledge of conflict, terrorism trends and political violence in Kenya.
License, registration, or certification required
- Certificate of Good Conduct.
- Clearance from security service arms.