WFP Job in Kenya
IT Network Specialist, SSA
Kenya - Nairobi
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience
- CISCO CCNP (Routing and Switching) Certification – mandatory
- 5+ years’ experience installing and maintaining CISCO networks (emphasis on hands-on experience in switching, routing, Wireless, VOIP and video conferencing)
- Ability to operate network component analysers, scanners, and testers.
- Fluent English (spoken and written).
The World Food Programme IT network infrastructure delivers mission critical services to WFP staff. In Kenya, WFP Country Office IT teams support offices in Nairobi, Mombasa, Garissa, Dadaab, Isiolo, Marsabit, Wajir, Lodwar and Kakuma. Our WFP network allows staff to access WFP Corporate applications and internet-based solutions via MPLS, VSAT and Internet Service Provider (ISP) services. Design of our network and security protocols are standardized by our HQ IT Division. Meanwhile, optimising connectivity and ensuring protection of our network is delegated to IT staff in the Country Office. Increasing usage of cloud-based solutions such as Office 365, prioritizes the need for a robust and healthy network. The WFP Kenya Country Office requires a dedicated staff to manage and troubleshoot our network for all WFP Kenya Country offices.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Installing, Configuring, and supporting WFP’s local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet systems or a segment of a network system (such as routers, switches, firewalls and other network equipment);
- Configuring and supporting Video Conferencing, Webcasting, VOIP systems.
- Monitoring network to ensure network availability to all system users and may perform necessary maintenance to support network availability, maintaining and administering computer networks and related computing environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations; performing data backups and disaster recovery operations;
- Performing network support and new service deployment & implementation;
- Troubleshooting & operation support for critical tickets related to WFP network; troubleshooting network issues in network and application layer; analysing and troubleshooting issues related to Cisco Switches and Firewalls using tools like Wireshark, Fluke (to analyse packets and troubleshoot issues);
- Coordinating and troubleshooting service escalations with quality assurance and development teams and troubleshooting network performance issues, end user connectivity and working closely with 3rd party vendors and ISP carriers.
- Act as back-up for the Nairobi IT Service Desk team and respond to client requests.
- Maintain all network hardware and equipment, including routers, switches, APs, and phones;
- Monitor and test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports;
- Troubleshoot all network issues including routers and routing protocols. Liaise with WFP HQ Specialists and Service Providers for resolution to issues;
- Recommend, schedule, and perform network improvements, upgrades, and repairs;
- Collaborate and support WFP IT Assistants in Field Offices to ensure day-to-day network activities are completed
- Travel to Field Offices to conduct regular maintenance and for emergency issues.
- Adhere to and complete project tasks within assigned timeframes.
- Write technical specifications for purchase of networking hardware and software products.
- Prepare and ensure accuracy of documentation, procedures manuals, and help sheets for network installations, including data, voice, and video systems.
- Train WFP IT Assistants on advanced networking skills for monitoring and troubleshooting
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
- Independent worker able to manage project timelines and priorities;
- Advanced analytical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Strong communication skills with the ability to compile and present information;
- Good interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work within a team environment
- Experience working in an international organisation or multicultural environment will be an added advantage.
- Understanding of WFP’s Core mission and values.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
CISCO CCNA/CCNP: Security, Wireless
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Please ensure you include your past TWO Performance Appraisals/ PACE
- WFP is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge fees from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
- Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
- Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
- For any queries write to Nairobi.email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for application: 14 January, 2019.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Above texts are copied from UN WFP Official Web Page (WFP.org)
Copyright 2018 © World Food Programme
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
International Rescue Committee (IRC)
22 Job Openings in Lebanon
As of 27 September 2020