WFP Job in Jordan
Communications Officer NOB
(Head of Communications)
Jordan - Amman
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ) and Country Offices (COs). Job holders operate with minimal supervision, and are heavily involved in day–to-day activities, analytical work and provide advice on less complex issues.
In Country Offices, these roles report to the Country Director, with functional supervision from the Regional Communications Officer, to ensure that the CO communications activities serve WFP needs in the country of assignment, taking into consideration the overall regional communications plan and WFP’s corporate communications goals.
Are you passionate about Communications; would you like to contribute in supporting thousands of beneficiaries in Jordan. WFP is seeking talented candidates to apply for Communications Officer Vacancy, based in Amman. The incumbent will be required to implement the communications plan by supporting and delivering a range of communications activities, providing research and analysis, and prioritising effectively.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Implement country specific communication work plans designed to maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP, as well as support fundraising activities, ensuring alignment with overall communications and WFP strategies.
2. Contribute to communications through good research, analysis of assigned area of work and timely preparation and distribution of information products to target audience(s).
3. Maintain a contact list of journalists and media outlets and support the flow of news/information about WFP’s work to the media, in order to support regular and appropriate communications.
4. Support the social media plan by developing social media content, and utilising platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities.
5. Generate donor specific visibility content including, text, photos, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms, in order to support global and country fund-raising activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
6. Monitor and analyse traditional and social media to inform the development and/or evaluation of communication activities and strategies.
7. Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
8. Collate outreach data contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reports, Support communications activities that enable informed decision making and ensures consistency of information presented to the media and other stakeholders.
9. Support capacity building of WFP staff on all aspects of communication, provides advice and guidance within area and level of expertise, in order to ensure that all activities meet desired standards of consistency, quality and impact. For example the design and review of training materials.
10. Liaise and interact with WFP staff and external counterparts to support aligned activities and a coherent approach to communications within WFP.
11. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of a crisis.
12. Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
Experience: Three or more years of postgraduate professional work experience in the field of Communication, Journalism, International Relations, or Public Relations.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has gained experience in utilising specialist communications techniques to enhance functional outputs
• Has provided direction and instruction to more junior staff members within area of expertise
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Media and Influencer Relationship Management||Demonstrates ability to build and sustain effective collaborative relationships with key media contacts and influencers in area of expertise to raise the profile of WFP, build relationships and further organisational aims.|
|Media and Communication Expertise||Facilitates open verbal or written communication with media and influencers as required (i.e. through preparation of tailored written or visual materials presentations, and official documentation) to convey tailored messages. Engages in mutually informative discussion with media and influencers.|
|Specialised Knowledge in Communications||Uses sound theoretical knowledge of communications concepts to generate or facilitate the generation of effective communication materials across various media. Applies this to define work plans aligned to identified areas of WFP’s communications strategy.|
|Sociopolitical Contextual Understanding||Demonstrates deep understanding of the multilateral/interagency environment and the dynamics in which WFP operates which influences approach to working, policy development and decision making.|
|Communication Strategy and Planning||Applies advanced understanding of WFP communications strategy and best practice to effectively develop strategies to engage with media and other significant external stakeholders within area of responsibility. Oversees implementation, providing recommendations for improvement.|
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Applications must be submitted online through WFP e-Recruitment System
- Internal WFP staff can access the VA through the internal WFP CAREER page via the link: http://newgo.wfp.org/services/e-recruitment
- External applicants are kindly requested to follow the link: http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings
Make sure that you answer all mandatory questions accurately and to attach your updated CV in English.
- Join WFP to be part of saving lives and changing lives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4rFCbNDXiw&feature=youtu.behttp://ar.wfp.org/videos/recruitment-video-ar
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
17 January 2019
Female applicants and qualified applicants are encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Above texts are copied from UN WFP Official Web Page (WFP.org)
Copyright 2018 © World Food Programme
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
UN Job in New York | Programme Management Assistant, G5 | DPPA-DPO
UN Job in Abu Dhabi | Programme Management Officer (Project Post), P3 | UNEP
UN Job Opening – UNEP FINANCE AND BUDGET ASSISTANT, G6 Duty Station: NAIROBI, KENYA Posting Period: 07 June 2019 –