WFP Job in Belgium
Business Support Assistant G4
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. . Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. At WFP, we are driven and defined by our mission to fight world hunger, save lives, feed people’s dreams of a brighter future, reduce risk and help enable people, communities and countries meet their own food and nutrition needs. Each year, we reach an average of 80 million people with food assistance in around 80 countries. Delivering our mission requires deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between every member of our global team. While the 15,000-people working for WFP reflect the rich diversity of the world in which we work, the vital importance of our shared mission underpins a remarkably close community of purpose.
We are seeking to fill the position of Business Support Assistant G4, based in the WFP Brussels Office in Belgium.
Applicants must reside within commuting distance of the duty station Brussels, Belgium.
The main objective of the Brussels’ office is to support WFP country offices, regional bureaux and HQ divisions in mobilizing funds from the EU and the Belgian government. It is achieved by establishing and fostering partnerships with a number of EU and Belgian institutions as well as providing technical support to WFP offices during the negotiation, formulation and management of EU and Belgian contracts.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Director and direct supervision of the Administration Associate, the Business Support Assistant works as a member of a front office three-person team providing overall administrative support to the WFP Office in Brussels and visiting staff. The office is looking for a team player who will adapt to his or her role quickly, and work with minimum supervision. The successful candidate will be proactive, dynamic and have good communication and interpersonal skills.
The incumbent will fulfil the following main duties (not all-inclusive, nor exhaustive) under the guidance/supervision of the Administration Associate:
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Receive telephone calls and refer them to the appropriate source or respond personally to queries, where appropriate
- Maintenance of office administrative files and records
- Assist with drafting routine correspondence, memoranda and reports on administrative matters from oral instructions, previous correspondence or other available information sources in accordance with standard office procedures.
- Collect, sort, register and distribute correspondence and other material, and transmit via electronic mail, UN diplomatic pouch or courier service
- Maintain and update electronic mailing lists
- Assist with the day to day updating of the office calendar
- Visitors to the office: ensure all logistical arrangements are in place, schedule meetings, prepare briefing packages, assist the visitor whilst in Brussels with administrative needs
- Provide advice and assist staff members and their dependents by processing requests for visas, identity cards, driving licenses, and other necessary administrative documents in accordance with the requirements of the office – the United Nations and the country office.
- Make hotel bookings and travel arrangements in line with WFP administrative procedures
- Act as focal point for reporting on staff attendance and collection of leave requests
- Keep track of staff mandatory training completion
- Provide administrative support to the Administration Associate in her capacity of Country Security Focal Point
- Provide basic IT support to all office staff and visitors
- Assist in set-up of conference calls and presentations
- Provide basic support in procurement e.g. purchase of office supplies and equipment
- In the absence of the Administrative Associate, ensure coverage of the front office and process and manage routine financial tasks to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources.
- Perform any other administrative duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in Office Management is an asset.
- Four or more years of progressively responsible work experience in general administrative work.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals
- Good attention to detail to identify data discrepancies
- Ability to perform detailed work and handle a large volume of work under time constraints.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work with deadlines and follow clear instructions.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and French. Dutch is an asset.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Some experience in front office environment.
- Experience in organizing travel and hotel booking
- Experience in procuring goods and services
- Experience in processing requests for Official documents, such as Visas, Identity Cards, Driving Licenses, etc.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Knowledge of SAP.
- Knowledge of UN system administrative policies, rules, regulations and procedures.
- Work experience with the UN would be an advantage
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Applicants must be within commuting distance of the duty station Brussels
Applicants may be:
1. Belgium nationals holding a valid passport and/or identity card OR
2. EU citizens holding a valid passport and/or identity card; AND with confirmed registration from the Belgium authorities OR
3. Non-EU citizens holding a valid Belgium Resident Permit.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
29 January 2019
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Above texts are copied from UN WFP Official Web Page (WFP.org)
Copyright 2018 © World Food Programme
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
The objectives of the Centre, as stated by its mandate, are to provide information and communication technology (ICT) services (including training) on an inter-organizational basis.