Programme Associate (Capacity Strengthening), SC6
Bangladesh - Khulna
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
At this level, job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis. Job holders are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate support staff.
To provide effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Field Operations and the direct supervision of the Head of Khulna Sub Office, Programme Associate will be responsible for the following duties:
- Act as the main focal point in planning and conducting capacity strengthening trainings for partner Government officials and NGOs for Khulna Sub Office;
- Maintain close liaison with government agencies at field and counterparts to ensure that they allocate resources and make funds available for activities as per plan, coordinate implementation and support on monitoring;
- Support the Government and cooperating partners and provide specialized technical support and follow-up on the development of project activities, plans and processes within this specific technical area;
- Coordinate with relevant government officials and strategic partners to successfully implement improved “Maternal and Lactating Allowance Programme”, Investment component of VGD programme and School Feeding Programme in Southern region of Bangladesh.
- Act as the main focal point in regular review of the work plan and implementation of the school feeding programme/pilots and/or other innovates new approaches, Investment component of VGD programme, post-harvest rice fortification and maintain necessary documents, records, and follow-up with the relevant colleagues, units and agencies to ensure that activities are implemented as per plan in Southern region of Bangladesh;
- Support organizing meetings to facilitate programme/progress review with relevant government stakeholders; And follow-up with the relevant Government agencies at field to make sure that necessary actions and corrective measures are taken in accordance with circulars, guidelines and National Policy;
- Plan and support learning visits, assist relevant officials by providing technical support in preparing reports and in initiating follow-up actions; and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control;
- Support implementation of Resilience Innovation activities, e.g. Forecast Based Financing (FbF), Micro Insurance, Seasonal Livelihood Programme, support to Small Holder farmers etc.
- Ensure standard emergency preparedness practices at local level to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond.
- Represent WFP in Food Security Cluster and District Disaster Management Committee (DDMC) during pre-and post-disaster period. Provide capacity building support to WFP’s stand by partner for emergency and relevant government stakeholders at district level.
- Provide analysis of the situation by preparing regular “Situation Report” during emergency period.
- Provide implementation support to WFP’s Cooperating Partner and Government relevant department during emergency response.
- Perform other duties, as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
University degree in one or more of the following: Social Science, Economics, Development Studies, or a field relevant to development and poverty reduction.
At least 3 (three) years of progressively responsible experience in any of the area of Social Protection, School Feeding, Food Security, Emergency Preparedness and Response and working experience in related organization or international development organization;
Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Bangla.
Skills in the use of Computers; MS Office such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Working knowledge in spreadsheet and other software packages.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
|Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance
|Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers)
|Demonstrates ability to implement, under guidance, food assistance programmes deploying the full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.
|Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas
|Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance programmes.
|Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government
|Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Interpersonal skills, consistency in follow-up, ability to work with diverse teams, capability to independent ability to facilitate coordinated planning and subsequent follow-up on implementation;
- Familiarity with the School Feeding Programme, Investment component of VGD and Rice Fortification and its benefits, Government’s policy and strategy on nutrition, school feeding, nutrition, agriculture, adolescent, social safety net.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Type of contract: Service Contract
Level of function: SC-6
Duration of Contract: 12 months
Location: Khulna Sub Office
Nationality: Bangladeshi only
Monthly Net Salary: BDT. 103, 091
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
3 December 2018
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Above texts are copied from UN WFP Official Web Page (WFP.org)
Copyright 2018 © World Food Programme
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Associate Programme Management Officer( Multiple Positions) Level : P-2Job ID : 216794Job Network : Economic, Social and DevelopmentJob Family :
Programme Policy Officer (Durable Solutions and Refugee Integration – Coordination Consultant)Requisition ID: 829922 – Posted on 13/10/2023 – Short Term Monthly – Africa, Western – MauritaniaNouakchott – Working Job Language (1) – PROGRAMME