Programme Associate (Capacity Support), SC6, Dhaka
Bangladesh - Dhaka
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
At this level, job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems daily.
To perform specialized and/or standardized policy and programme-related processes and activities to support the effective delivery of capacity, advocacy assistance to the Technical Assistance for Promoting Nutrition Sensitive Social Security with the relevant Government agencies. Understand the National Social Security Strategy (NSSS), Bangladesh. Understand and continue to learn the dynamics of working with Government agencies and interacting with Government Officials, including communication mechanism and maintenance of government protocols.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Serve as the main focal point to maintain necessary documents, records, and follow-up with the relevant colleagues, units and Government/other agencies to ensure that the technical assistance projects are implemented as per plan;
- Organize necessary discussion/consultation sessions and work closely with other colleagues in preparing implementation guidelines of the technical assistance projects;
- Support the Technical Assistance for Promoting Nutrition Sensitive Social Security Project, Cabinet Division in organizing the Project Implementation Committee (PIC) and Project Steering Committee (PSC) meetings to discuss/review progress for necessary guidance and follow-up;
- Support organizing joint field visits with representative from various Government agencies to help in planning and implementation of the technical assistance projects and/or other innovative preaches;
- As part of monitoring the implementation of the technical assistance projects, organize joint monitoring of officials from various agencies to different social security programmes and assist the team in preparing reports and disseminating the findings;
- Support undertaking research/studies/assessments as outlined in the technical assistance projects and dissemination of the findings;
- Assist in coordinating the preparation of the quarterly narrative and annual reports for Government, donors, monthly operational updates, highlighting key achievements, under achievements and challenges of the technical assistance projects;
- Communicate regularly with the relevant Government officials to ensure that activities are performed in accordance with the plan and in conformity with the arrangements described in the technical assistance projects of the Government;
- Maintain close liaison with WFP colleagues of other units to ensure spending of the technical assistance projects in line with the plans;
- Work closely with other WFP colleagues and relevant Government officials and contribute in planning and organizing training/orientation sessions in building capacity of the officials involved in managing technical assistance projects;
- Accomplish all necessary financial and administrative tasks of the technical assistance projects;
- Undertake other relevant activities, as necessary.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Familiarity with the National Social Security Strategy (NSSS)-2015 and the social security programmes that are focusing food security and nutrition security and their benefits, policies and strategies;
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance||Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.|
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers)||Demonstrates ability to implement, under guidance, food assistance programmes deploying the full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.|
|Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas||Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance programmes.|
|Emergency Programming||Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.|
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government||Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.|
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has worked with technical teams;
- Has contributed to implementation of technical assistance programmes;
- Has observed or assisted with policy discussions;
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: At least a Bachelor degree in social science, international relations or related subject.
Experience : At least 5 years of experience in Social Protection, Food Security, Nutrition Security and related fields possibly with a UN organization or international development organization;
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in the English and Bangla.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Very good understanding on the National Social Security Strategy of Bangladesh;
- Strong interpersonal skills, consistency in follow-up, ability to work with diverse teams, capability to provide advice and independent ability to facilitate coordinated planning and subsequent follow-up on implementation and reporting;
- Demonstrated ability to deal with multidisciplinary/multicultural team; Proven capacity to coordinate and communicate with Government officials;
- Very good report writing skills;
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Type: Service Contract; SC6
Contract Duration: 1 year, renewable
Duty Station: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Nationality: Bangladeshi only
Monthly Net Salary: BDT. 103,091
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Only candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to submit an online application by 06 December 2018.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Above texts are copied from UN WFP Official Web Page (WFP.org)
Copyright 2018 © World Food Programme
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
UN Job Openings at the Field Services categories as of 10 February 2023
Staff in the Field Service category are normally recruited internationally to serve in field missions. You are expected to be highly mobile and to serve in different locations during your career.
UN Job Openings at the Professional at higher categories as of 10 February 2023
Staff members in the Professional and higher categories (P and D) are normally internationally recruited and are expected to serve at different duty stations throughout their career with the Organization.
UN Job Openings As of 11 November 2022
We want people with integrity. People who are fair, impartial, honest and truthful. We want dynamic and adaptable persons who are not afraid to think creatively, to be proactive, flexible and responsive.