Programme Associate (Resilience Innovation), SC-6
Bangladesh - Rangpur
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Enhancing resilience for vulnerable communities has been a core foundation of WFP’s work in Bangladesh for decades. WFP commits through its new Country Strategy Plan (CSP) for innovative approaches to enhance resilience so that improvements in livelihoods, food security and nutrition are not repeatedly lost in areas, which are most exposed to climate-related shocks. The approaches like micro-insurance, forecast based financing, and seasonal livelihood planning would be introduced as the successful risk transfer mechanism to prevent a sharp increase in poverty following a disaster, in a country like Bangladesh.
The overall goal of the project intervention is to reduce human suffering caused by climate-related hazards and to enhance the risk-management capacity of the poor and vulnerable people. WFP will introduce the micro-insurance product and will test at the field. The outcome of the intervention should contribute to the creation of rural financial markets, by strengthening private insurance company and micro-finance institution capacity to pay for insurance in cash.
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
To provide effective specialized support and technical assistance in implementation of the resilience innovation interventions.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the supervision of the Head of Sub-Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide technical support and assist in the implementation of forecast based financing, micro-insurance and seasonal livelihood programming in floodplain areas beside Jamuna River in the northwest of Bangladesh under the resilience innovation programme;
- Provide guidance, training, orientation to the Cooperating Partners (NGOs) staff to implement the aforesaid resilience interventions; Provide support to the partners for preparing annual and quarterly work plan; Facilitate annual CP performance evaluation;
- Prepare implementation work plan in consultation with Sub-office team and Country Office (CO) Resilience Innovation (RI) team;
- Communicate regularly with WFP Sub-office team and local stakeholders to ensure activities are performed in accordance with WFP policies, donor policies, and agreements; and Coordinate and keep informed the Country Office Resilience Innovation team on the progress and issues;
- Coordinate with local government especially with Deputy Commissioner, Upazila Nirbahi Officer, Bangladesh Water Development Board local officials, UP and other GO/NGO stakeholders along with Cooperating Partners.
- Conduct monitoring of the activities on regular basis and prepare report on field findings and share to all relevant parties including CO RI team;
- Follow-up and ensure timely submission of the reports from CPs; review partners monthly reports (utilization reports, intervention implementation progress reports, etc) and provide feedback, as appropriate;
- Assist in preparation of household’s database of the targeted communities; facilitate field level baseline, post-distribution, and end line assessment in coordination with M&E unit and orient field enumerators, data collector in accordance with the instruction from CO;
- Assist in organizing donors and Government field visits and facilitate the mission visit at local level successfully;
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor’s degree in social science, environmental science, or any other relevant fields; Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in a relevant subject is preferable.
Experience: At least 5 years’ experience in in Resilience Building, Climate Change Adaptation and/or Disaster Risk Reduction fields;
Knowledge & Skills: Sound knowledge on food security and nutrition; competent in building and maintaining relationships with Governments, local organizations, and NGO partners; competent in training facilitation; good in interpersonal and negotiation skills; good in computers operation to prepare report using the software packages including Power Point presentation;
Language: Good command over spoken and written English and Bangla.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
|Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance
|Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers)
|Demonstrates ability to implement, under guidance, food assistance programmes deploying the full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.
|Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas
|Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance programmes.
|Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government
|Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Type of contract: Service Contract
Level of function: SC-6
Location: Rangpur Sub Office
Nationality : Bangladeshi only
Monthly Net Salary: BDT. 103, 091
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
4 December 2018
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Above texts are copied from UN WFP Official Web Page (WFP.org)
Copyright 2018 © World Food Programme
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Associate Programme Management Officer( Multiple Positions) Level : P-2Job ID : 216794Job Network : Economic, Social and DevelopmentJob Family :
Programme Policy Officer (Durable Solutions and Refugee Integration – Coordination Consultant)Requisition ID: 829922 – Posted on 13/10/2023 – Short Term Monthly – Africa, Western – MauritaniaNouakchott – Working Job Language (1) – PROGRAMME