Career Opportunities: IT Solutions Associate G6 - Damascus VA085-2018 (101142)
Requisition # 101142 – Posted 01/11/2018 – Fixed Term – Middle East – Syria – Damascus
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
From 1 November 2018 TO 15 November 2018
CONTRACT TYPE & DURATION
Type: Fixed term contract.
Duration: One year.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). The Job holders report to a Head of the Unit, Chief or IT Solutions Developer.
At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis.
The incumbent is expected to deliver and complete a wide range of WFP beneficiary and transfer management system (SCOPE) operations support activities. Specifically, support is to be provided to WFP business units at the country office, sub-offices, WFP cooperating partners and other partners who are SCOPE platform users in order to facilitate effective assistance and service delivery.
The incumbent will apply their knowledge and skills to ensure that country-wide technical implementation needs and expectations for SCOPE operations are fully met. And that relevant business inputs are provided to the continued development of SCOPE to address emerging operational challenges.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Assist in coordinating regular ICT sector capacity assessments (i.e. Beneficiary Information Assessment and Macro ICT Assessments) and risk identification to provide CO with overview of ICT landscape and insights into how WFP and its partners can leverage digital technologies to innovate assistance and service delivery.
- Support sub-offices to conduct micro IT assessments in designated operational areas and prepare reports to inform decisions on SCOPE implementation.
- Promote community of practice amongst SCOPE users in different business units in country office and sub-offices to ensure better change and knowledge management, sense of common purpose, skills development and sharing of best practice, reduce learning curve for new staff, better responsiveness in beneficiary facing services.
- Support sub-offices to strengthen beneficiary data management and ensure compliance with corporate and CO data standards.
- Coordinate preparation of implementation plans by sub-offices (SO) for rollout of SCOPE based on solution design for the interventions that they are responsible for.
- Define SCOPE operations roles for WFP and partner staff, retailers and ensure that they have the correct access to the system.
- Provide training and on-the-job coaching to SCOPE users including familiarising them with new functionality so that they can use the system effectively.
- Respond to a variety of end user business and technical queries about SCOPE to enable efficient delivery of assistance and services.
- Perform testing, deployment of hardware and software including identification of problems, to contribute to the effective functioning of SCOPE.
- Identify functionality gaps arising from deep field operational requirements and suggest improvements to methods and processes in order to support the continuous improvement of SCOPE services.
- Follow SCOPE emergency response processes and procedures as required to provide support in enabling emergency assistance needs.
- Perform any other duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Five or more years of progressively responsible IT operations or development or support work experience in an engaging and dynamic workplace environment.
- Experience of successfully understanding and contributing to achieving key objectives in support of service plans in a service-orientated environment.
- Experience with the application of client services standards to resolve or escalate clients’ service problems.
- Has experience resolving more complex technical issues.
- Awareness of overall IT governance structure and system architecture development to support processes and assist in design of interaction between systems.
- Understanding of project management principles to provide estimates on timing, resource utilisation and costs to facilitate the project planning process.
- Demonstrate continuous updates of knowledge about new technologies and product modifications.
- Understand and follow established standards and protocols for service excellence in IT operations to maintain quality of delivery and high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Exhibit detailed understanding of customer requests in order to effectively address and manage internal customer needs including identification of recurrent issues to propose long-term solutions.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a range of individuals in order to provide a high quality support service.
- Good communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to prioritise, multi-task, coordinate workloads, and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to be creative yet analytical with a logical mind and an eye for detail.
- Ability to work unsupervised and under own initiative
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
|Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
|Governance, Strategy and Architecture
|Demonstrates awareness of overall IT governance structure and system architecture development to support the process and assist in design of interaction between systems.
|Change Implementation, Project Management, Planning and Optimization
|Has basic understanding of project management principles to provide basic estimates on timing, resource utilisation and costs to facilitate the project planning process.
|Continuously updates one’s own knowledge about new technologies and product modifications; Is sought out for advice/expertise and recognized internally as an important technical reference.
|Requirement Definition & Management
|Asks meaningful and appropriate questions to understand and translate business requirements into desired technical functionality.
|Able to analyze broad product/service functionality to coordinate design of new technology or assist in technology integration/enhancements.
|Designs, codes, tests, corrects, and documents programs from supplied specifications, using agreed standards and tools.
IT SOLUTION DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT-Governance, Strategy and Architecture
IT SOLUTION DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT-Change Implementation, Project Management, Planning and Optimization
IT SOLUTION DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT-Technical Expertise
IT SOLUTION DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT-Requirement Definition and Management
IT SOLUTION DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT-System Design
IT SOLUTION DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT-Solution Development
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Please upload your CV in English
- Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted.
- Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once applying.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.