Career Opportunities: IT Operations Assistant (Inventory), G4-RBDakar Office (100694)
Requisition # 100694 – Posted 31/10/2018 – Fixed Term – Africa, Western – Senegal – Dakar
Position title: IT Assistant (inventory) G-4, Regional Bureau West Africa
Contract type: Fixed-Term
Office: WFP Dakar Regional Bureau Office West Africa
Contract duration: 1 year
Posting Period: 31 October to 14 November 2018
UN Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
ABOUT WFP: The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
ORGANISATIONAL CONTEXT: The Job holders will directly report to the National Information Technology Officer. At this level, work is carried out under the direct supervision of a more senior staff. Job holders work in a team and are expected to produce organised and accurate technical work.
JOB PURPOSE: To deliver standard software and hardware support services, as well as monitoring and maintaining a wide range of information sources, to contribute to the effective delivery of IT services.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (not all-inclusive, nor exhaustive):
1. Carry-out system and equipment maintenance tasks, such as back-up system data and system protection, to ensure they are running effectively and enable easy and efficient use.
2. Undertake basic monitoring and troubleshooting of server systems to ensure a consistent delivery of IT services to staff.
3. Respond to basic queries about technology and systems to support the correct application of technology.
4. Receive and inspect all incoming assets and report discrepancies in IT materials inventory to senior colleagues to ensure materials are effectively tracked.
5. Perform basic beta testing and support the roll out of new versions of centrally supported software to ensure software is operational for WFP staff.
6. Ensure information is up to date and accurate within inventories, databases, websites, and archives in order to support senior officers in managing these systems.
7. With direction from senior colleagues, collate information to be included in standard material such as training documentation and web content, to contribute to the availability of information
about services and products.
8. Follow set emergency response processes and procedures as required to provide support in enabling emergency food assistance needs to be met.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE: – Academic or professional experience in computer science. – Has experience resolving level 1 IT issues.
STANDARD MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Education: Completion of secondary school education.
Language: General Service: Fluency (level C) in French language. Fluency (level A) in English language.
Special Notice: Female candidates, are encouraged to apply. The appointment is for an initial 12 months with possibility of extension based on satisfactory performance. All applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and well before the deadline stated.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted. The pre-selected candidates will be invited to do a written test following which the top performers will be invited to a competency-based interview.