Career Opportunities: Social Media Officer NOB (100434)
Requisition # 100434 – Posted 30/10/2018 – Fixed Term – Africa, Central & Eastern – Egypt – Cairo
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Join us to make a difference
Watch this video to know more about us!!
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
Language: Fluency (level C) in Arabic & English language.
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ) and Country Offices (COs). Job holders operate with minimal supervision, and are heavily involved in day–to-day activities, analytical work and provide advice on less complex issues.
In HQ, job holders report to the Director of Communications or the designate. These roles work in a specialist area of communications.
In RBs, job holders report to the Regional Director or the designate, with functional supervision from the Director of Communications or the designate.
In COs, these roles report to the Country Director, with functional supervision from the Regional Communications Officer, to ensure that the CO communications activities serve WFP needs in the country of assignment, taking into consideration the overall regional communications plan and WFP’s corporate communications goals.
In the past few years, the importance and scope of the social media function within communications unit have significantly increased. Social media usage has skyrocketed both globally and within the region – between 2000 and 2016, the number of Arabic speaking Internet users has increased for 6,600 percent and it is estimated as many as 88% of Internet users in the region use social media daily.
For RBC Communications, this is an exceptional opportunity to increase WFP’s brand visibility and recognition, and establish and nurture relationships with the fast-growing regional audiences. We have readily taken on the challenge by opening new social media accounts and increasing both frequency and quality of posting, which has created lots of additional workload on the social media team and the whole unit.
The purpose of this assignment is to strengthen and increase the unit’s capacities by supporting and delivering a range of social media-related activities, developing social media content, and utilizing platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support for WFP’s activities in the region.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Write, edit and produce social media content in English and Arabic language for the regional social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, positioning content for clarity and impact.
- Generate multimedia content including, text, photos and infographics for use across a range of integrated online platforms, supporting regional communication activities and ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
- Monitor social media, regularly provide insights on regional audiences and support implementation of informed, cross-platform social media strategy.
- Keep abreast of new trends in social media tools, trends and applications, testing new ideas and platforms and measuring results.
- Work closely with the regional communications team and country offices to ensure crises are properly managed and contained.
- Other as required.
- Write, produce and publish daily social media posts across regional social media accounts in English and Arabic language ensuring quality, variety and maximum engagement.
- Generate social media visuals including photos, infographics and other assets for regional and global dissemination.
- Write and compile social media monitoring reports weekly, monthly and on request.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
Minimum 5 years in the communications field, including 3 years of relevant work experience in progressively responsible functions producing, editing and disseminating multimedia content for social media audiences on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and other platforms.
Knowledge & Skills:
– Demonstrated ability to write and edit social media posts in English and Arabic to a standard high enough for immediate publication without an editor.
– In-depth understanding of the social media landscape, including trends in new tools and platforms.
– Experience using advanced tools for social media publishing, monitoring and marketing.
– Working knowledge of Photoshop, Canva or other tools for creating and editing visual assets for social media use.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- JOB TITLE: Social Media Officer (NOB)
- TYPE & LEVEL OF CONTRACT: Fixed Term/NOB
- DURATION & START DATE: One (1) year renewable – starting ASAP
- UNIT/DIVISION: Communications
- DUTY STATION (City, Country): Regional Bureau in Cairo (RBC) , Cairo, Egypt
- REPORTS TO: Head of Social Media
- MONTHLY NET SALARY RANGE STARTS FROM: 42,845 EGP
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application no later than Saturday, December 1st, 2018.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.