Vacancy Announcement No: UPU/20/P1/ST/295
Title: Communication Expert (Junior)
Type of contract Short Term Appointment
Duration: 11 months
Publication Date: 15 October 2020
Application Deadline: 11 November 2020
(16 day(s) until closing deadline)
Currently accepting applications
Organizational Unit: Executive Office (DIRCAB)
Communication and Events DIRCAB COMM
Duty Station: Bern Switzerland
Scheduled date for taking up appointment: As soon as possible
With its 192 member countries, the Universal Postal Union (UPU), a specialized agency of the United Nations, is the primary forum for cooperation between postal sector players. It helps to ensure a truly universal network of up-to-date products and services.
The incumbent will assist the Communication Programme team in institutional external and internal communications activities and events as follows:
- Communication planning:
Contribute to the development of communication plans on UPU initiatives and projects and participate in their implementation, including:
- Participating in providing support on communication issues to internal clients with a view to developing appropriate communication plans to reach key and relevant audiences;
- Shaping key messages, identifying, conceiving and planning production of targeted communication activities and materials;
- Participating in identifying freelance suppliers to help create content and design, including assigning work, briefing them and monitoring their work;
- Participating in activities and/or identifying promotional materials to promote the UPU and following up their implementation among member countries and the public through special events and celebrations.
Act within delegated limits of authority as a writer/editor of UPU public information publications, particularly for the quarterly magazine Union Postale;
- Identify topics, research and write articles, edit copy and other information material for dissemination, monitor production schedule including setting deadlines;
- Brief external freelance staff, including journalists, photographers, translators, designers and printers; according to instructions, monitor their work;
- Determine the compilation and publication process; according to instructions, monitor the work of the Program’s suppliers including photographers, graphic designers, translators, subscribers, video crews, advertisers and printers.
- Website and multimedia:
- Identify, research, write and edit content, key news and developments for the purposes of updating and expanding the public information published on the UPU website.
- Assist in implementing strategies for using multimedia, i.e. audio-visual materials, to communicate key messages about the organization and inform member countries and the public about activities.
- Assist in maintaining the organization’s visibility and information sharing using relevant social-media tools
- Media contact:
On request, and under the supervision of the program manager or director:
- Prepare press releases;
- Assist in the management of media arrangements during special events/conferences and the organization of press conferences and press briefings as required;
- Internal communication
- Assist in implementing the internal communication strategy and developing the necessary communication tools for informing staff about internal developments and projects.
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS REQUIRED
First level university degree (Bachelor or similar) degree in communication, journalism or public relations or non-university professional degree in communication and related tools, business administration or similar.
With a first level university degree, zero to one year of work experience in communication or journalism or public relations; without university degree, minimum 6 years of relevant experience in an international organization, or corporate or communications agency in the domains covered by the position.
- Excellent writing and editing skills for print and electronic journalism
- Ability to develop communication plans; shape key messages; identify target audiences
- Experience with audio and video media
- Good knowledge of modern public relations methods and desktop publishing tools
- Good knowledge of the mainstream and specialized press is an asset
- Knowledge of new electronic tools and social media networks
- Knowledge of the international communications environment an asset
Skills and abilities / competencies:
- Excellent communication skills
- Good analytical skills and ability to make clear presentations
- Enthusiasm, diplomacy and accuracy
- Priorities management; ability to work against tight deadlines
- Knowledge of other UN languages and German an asset
Proficiency in English or French. Working knowledge of the other language would be an asset
Monthly salary:(Net of tax)
French is the official language of the UPU. English and French are the working languages of the UPU International Bureau.
Candidates might be considered for other similar posts (for a period not exceeding one year).
Candidates must ensure that they provide relevant contact details so that they can be contacted at any time, to prevent them from being excluded from the selection process.
The conditions of service are governed by the Staff Regulations and Rules of the International Bureau of the Universal Postal Union.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form.
All applications must be received by the closing date as stated in the vacancy announcement.
All applicants employed by postal entities and applying for a vacant position in the Professional (P) or Senior (D) category must be recommended and submitted through the competent postal authority.
Applications not satisfying this criterion may not be considered.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Applications from women and member states are particularly encouraged.
The UPU promotes diversity and work-life balance.
For further instructions regarding the online application process, please visit the UPU internet page at: http://www.upu.int/en/resources/vacancies