Volunteer abroad: Requirements
The minimum requirements to serve as an international UN Volunteer are: 25 years old and older (no upper age limit); university degree or higher technical diploma;
At least two years of relevant work experience in a professional background; good working knowledge of English, Spanish or French;
Commitment to the values and principles of volunteerism; ability to work in a multicultural environment; willingness to work with people and local organizations;
Ability to adjust in difficult living conditions and sometimes remote locations; strong interpersonal and organizational skills…
A university degree or higher technical diploma and at least two years of relevant work experience are among the minimum requirements to volunteer abroad with the UN.
Requests for assignments come from more than 140 countries and require a wide range of professional skills and competencies. We mobilize international UN Volunteers at the request of United Nations partner agencies to support their peace and development programmes.
First check whether you meet the minimum requirements below, and if so then you can register your profile in our Global Talent Pool.
The minimum requirements to serve as an international UN Volunteer are:
- 25 years old and older (no upper age limit)
- university degree or higher technical diploma
- at least two years of relevant work experience in a professional background
- good working knowledge of at least one of UNV’s three working languages: English, French or Spanish
- commitment to the values and principles of volunteerism
- ability to work in a multicultural environment
- willingness to work with people and local organizations to draw upon the synergies between expert solutions and local knowledge
- ability to adjust in difficult living conditions and sometimes remote locations
- strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- prior volunteering and/or working experience in a developing country is an asset
When assignments arise, we search in the Global Talent Pool for profiles that match the requirements of the job. Matching candidates are contacted and given the specific details of the assignment, after which they can confirm their interest and availability. A short-list of available candidates is drawn up and a selection process follows.
Only when there are difficult, highly specialized or high-volume assignments, for example after a natural disaster or in the aftermath of a conflict, do we advertise them on this website, as well as via professional associations and social media. But even in these cases, candidates still must be registered in the Global Talent Pool. If you want to be considered for a special assignment, you need to follow the application instructions indicated in the last paragraph of the description of the assignment (example of Description of Assignment.)