Job categories: Communications
Vacancy code: VA/2020/B0048/20631
Department/office: CRP, CG, Communications Group
Duty station: Home based
Contract type: International ICA
Contract level: IICA-1
Duration: One year (with possibility of extension)
Application period: 26-Oct-2020 to 08-Nov-2020
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful imp…
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Job-specific
The French Translator will be a home-based retainer and will report to the CG Tr…
The French Translator will be a home-based retainer and will report to the CG Translation Coordinator. The incumbent will be responsible for translating internal and external documents for print and web and assisting the CG translation team in their goals when translating material for the organization.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Translate m…
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Translate materials from English into French ensuring that all deadlines are met.
- Produce self-revised translations and revise documents translated by others when required.
- Provide accurate, faithful and timely translation of documents into the target language. Respect the source layout when required.
- Liaise with colleagues who have translation responsibilities in order to ensure good quality translation as well as the use of preferred UN/UNOPS terminology and reference material.
The incumbent will be offered a retainer contract, i.e. one issued for a period of time during which the services of the Individual Contractor will be required to work when and as required. There is no expectation of a minimum number of working days, and the workload will depend on the translation needs of CG.
The incumbent is expected to check his/her email on a regular basis and commits to being able to reply to any job requests within a reasonable amount of time.
***The incumbent will need to be able to translate a minimum of 240 words per hour (1,920 words per working day).
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and enc…
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Education University Degree (bachelor level) in translation or other relevant di…
University Degree (bachelor level) in translation or other relevant discipline is required;
- Minimum 2 years of translation experience are required.
- Proficiency in working with Microsoft Office applications is desired. Knowledge of Google Suite (G docs, G slides) is an asset.
- Experience working with CAT Tools is highly desired. The incumbent may be required to work with the CAT tool used by the CG translation team.
- UN/UNOPS experience is an asset
Full proficiency in English and French is required.
Knowledge of one of the following UN official languages: Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, or Portuguese is a distinct advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: IICA 1 Contract duration: One year, with poss…
Contract type: ICA
Contract level: IICA 1
Contract duration: One year, with possibility of extension
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time Applications …
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.