UN Job Opening
LOGISTICS ASSISTANT, FS5
Brindisi - Italy
|LOGISTICS ASSISTANT, FS5
|Job Code Title:
|United Nations Logistic Base
|27 November 2018 – 26 December 2018
|Job Opening Number:
|18-Logistics and Supply Chain-UNLB-107462-R-Brindisi (M)
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located within the United Nations Global Service Centre (UNGSC). The Logistics Assistant will be based in Brindisi, Italy. The Logistics Assistant works within the Logistics Support Unit and reports to the Chief Logistics Support Unit, Delivery & Return Section.
Within limits of delegated authority, the Logistics Assistant will be responsible for some or all of the following duties:
Logistics Support and Coordination
• Identifies all routine logistics requirements within the missions, prepares, implements and controls appropriate methods to cater for them, ensuring optimal utilization of available resources during Start-Up, Sustainment and Liquidation
• Participates in generating an effective and efficient logistics planning and coordination with all mission logistics related stakeholders and mission clients;
• Reviews Mission’s logistics downsizing, liquidation implementation plan, Pre- Asset Disposal plan and operational directives to develop effective deployment plans and prioritization for goods and movements to Missions and locations;
• Participates and ensures the development of logistics emergency, contingency plans and identifies ways to overcome obstacles when delivering goods to other missions;
• Prepare logistics reports based on accurate and up-to-date information and data received from all relevant counterparts and distribute them according to requirements;
• Assists in organizing and undertaking field visits to assess logistical needs and/or to perform Technical Assessment Missions (TAM) to review various types of equipment for Preliminary Asset Disposal Plans or similar;
• Produce comprehensive cost benefit analysis’s, technical reports, draft correspondence and other related documentation based on assessments carried out during field visits.
• Coordinates and ensures assignments for the cooperative use of vehicles and equipment with contingents and other UN agencies.
• Researches and analyses operational usage and performance trends, legal, administrative and legislative requirements, supports the development of training for staff and other mission personnel as required during Start-up, sustainment and Liquidation as required.
• Prepares documentation for review of mission asset holdings for senior management review and decision making.
• Completes periodic reports and documentation regarding provision of logistics support during Start-up, Sustainment and Liquidation and
• Ensures regions are fully supported with the all parts and materials as needed in coordination with the other sections and regional hubs as necessary.
• Support and monitor proper storage of items in warehouse or transit during Start-Up, Sustainment and Liquidation.
• Ensures timely issuance and delivery of material/spare parts needed for client mission’s
• Support inventories of assets under downsizing and liquidation
Professionalism: Knowledge of logistics operations and/or related fields. Ability to analyze data. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
High School diploma or equivalent. Technical or vocational certificate in logistics, transportation or asset management. A valid driver’s license, including the ability to operate a manual-transmission light vehicle in 4×4 conditions is a requirement.
A minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in remote logistics operations, supply, supply-chain management, or large-scale fleet management or asset management or related area.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English both written and oral is required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Extension of the appointment is subject to Extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds.- Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse, or crimes other than minor traffic offences, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Above texts are copied from United Nations Official Web Page (careers.un.org)
Copyright 2018 United Nations. All rights reserved
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Associate Programme Management Officer( Multiple Positions) Level : P-2Job ID : 216794Job Network : Economic, Social and DevelopmentJob Family :
Programme Policy Officer (Durable Solutions and Refugee Integration – Coordination Consultant)Requisition ID: 829922 – Posted on 13/10/2023 – Short Term Monthly – Africa, Western – MauritaniaNouakchott – Working Job Language (1) – PROGRAMME