Post Number : 6SNIEP0062PA
Grade : P-1 / P-2
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Dakar
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 15-OCT-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and performance. OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The International Institute for Educational Planning Office in Dakar (IIEP Dakar) serves the Africa region. IIEP’s mandate is to help UNESCO member states build capacity to plan and manage their education system. The IIEP Office in Dakar has built a reputation as a centre of expertise on education sector analysis and the development of education sector plans. This mission aligns with the Education 2030 agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals. IIEP-UNESCO Dakar’s range of interventions has recently extended into additional lines of work in planning and management for technical and vocational training, crisis contexts, and gender equality. Modalities of intervention comprise technical cooperation, training, applied research and development, and outreach, in partnership with national, regional and international organizations.
Under the overall authority of the Head for IIEP Dakar and under the direct supervision of the Program Manager and Senior Expert in Quality Management and within the framework of the IIEP Medium-Term Strategy, the incumbent contribute to regional activities linked to the development of national capacities in terms of quality management. This involves participating in activities carried out in the programme countries. The programme is already being implemented in Burkina Faso, Madagascar, Niger and Senegal. It is expected that this implementation will be extended to four other countries, among those which participated in the evaluation of PASEC 2019 (Benin, Burundi, Cameroon, Congo, Ivory Coast, Gabon, Guinea, Mali, DRC, Chad , and Togo). The other countries not directly benefiting from the program will be involved in various sessions to share experiences and the results highlighted by the program. The work produced will be subject to an internal validation process under the responsibility of the Head of IIEP Pole de Dakar.
The incumbent will perfom the following duties:
- Participate in the diagnosis of management practices for the quality of education in the supported countries using the methodology and approach developed by the program.
- Reinforce the capabilities of offcials in ministries of education through training and support sessions on the stages of the analysis of quality management practices and the development of a roadmap according to the methodology of the program.
- Ensure that concerns related to the evaluation of learning (design, administration and use of results) and other diagnostic studies of the system (in particularESA ) are taken into account in quality management.
- Contribute to reflections leading to the development of the roadmap for improving quality management.
- Assist in dialogue, exchange and coordination with development partners in target countries, so that IIEP-UNESCO Dakaris fully integrated into sectoral dialogues.
- Participate in the creation and dissemination of knowledge on quality management and writing of methodological and thematic notes on quality management.
- Perform any other task assigned by the Head of IIEP Dakar.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)Communication (C)Accountability (C)Innovation (C)Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)Planning and organizing (C)Results focus (C)Teamwork (C)–For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in Education, Public Policy, Economics, Statistics or Social Sciences.
- Minimum two (2) year of relevant professional experience in the field of education evaluation.
- Experience with ministries of African countries and development partners.
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated knowledge of tools for assessing student achievement and / or evaluating educational policies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of African education systems.
- Good understanding of the challenges linked to the quality of education in the context of developing countries and more particularly in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Ability to carry out regular missions, especially in different contexts and ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work while paying attention to details and quality of work.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Excellent knowledge of French or English and good knowledge of the other.
- One (1) year of international experience in the related field.
- Experience in action research methodology in general, and participatory action research in particular.
- Experience working in a multicultural teams.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include a written assessment exercise followed by a competency-based oral interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.