Post Number : IEP 801
Grade : D-2
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term (Maximum term of six (6) years)
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 30-OCT-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
UNESCO, as the lead agency for Sustainable Development Goal 4 on Quality Education is currently seeking a pro-active, visionary Director for the International Institute for Education Planning (IIEP). The right candidate will be a seasoned leader, able to foster trust through an inclusive approach and inspire others.
The International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP) is an integral part of UNESCO’s Education Sector, operating with institutional autonomy under the guidance of its Governing Board. IIEP promotes an integrated approach to capacity development, including training, research, and technical assistance in the areas of policy formulation, and educational planning and management in relation to economic and social development. IIEP also promotes new concepts and methods of educational policy analysis, planning and management; and disseminates, by various means, existing knowledge and experience gained in this domain.
Guided by the Institute’s Governing Board and under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director-General for Education, the Director of IIEP provides intellectual leadership and strategic vision to IIEP’s programme and staff. The incumbent is responsible for the leadership of the Institute as well as for planning, implementing and reporting on its Programme and Budget. S/he will oversee the preparation of the Institute’s annual Draft Programme and Budget for submission to the Governing Board and, upon approval, draw up a detailed plan of activities, direct their implementation, and report on progress and results.Long Description
Specifically, the incumbent shall:
- Provide intellectual, strategic and operational leadership in the pursuit of the Institute’s main goals.
- Develop activities to strengthen international cooperation in the area of educational development, technical assistance, educational policy formulation, education planning and management;
- Lead the planning, budgeting, execution and reporting of IIEP’s programme;
- In close cooperation with the appropriate units of the Secretariat at Headquarters and in the Field Offices, ensure that the IIEP contributes fully to the achievement of UNESCO’s objectives;
- Manage and design operational mechanisms and/or action plans, required to support and ensure efficiency and effectiveness of the Institute’s operations;
- Ensure close cooperation with UNESCO’s Education Sector and other Sectors, Field Offices, UNESCO’s specialized Institutes, and services and units concerned;
- Oversee resource mobilization, budgets and risk analysis for the Institutes’ programmes;
- Advocate for IIEP externally and create and maintain strategic partnerships to help finance and implement its programme;
- Maintain a motivated and effective staff for the purpose of formulating, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating the programmes of the Institute.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)Communication (C)Accountability (C)Innovation (C)Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)Planning and organizing (C)Results focus (C)Teamwork (C)Building partnerships (M)Driving and managing change (M)Leading and empowering others (M)Making quality decisions (M)Managing performance (M)Strategic thinking (M)–For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in education, social sciences or other related fields.
- Minimum fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible and relevant professional experience in the field of education both at national and international level.
- Experience in the fields of educational development, technical assistance, educational policy formulation, education planning and management.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, change management and leading teams.
- Experience in resource mobilization and the development of strategic partnerships.
- Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision and priorities.
- Ability to lead change initiatives and change processes at the management level, and familiarity with the leadership of an institution accountable to governing bodies.
- Proven leadership and managerial skills, a broad general culture and sound analytical capacities, high sense of objectivity, professional integrity and political astuteness.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and management abilities, including capacity to manage extensive programmes and financial resources in cost-effective ways and to exercise appropriate supervision and control.
- Relevant research ability with identification of emerging educational needs to which an international research and training programme could make a substantial contribution, as well as with exploration of new avenues and patterns of action.
- Organizational skills, including in establishing plans and priorities, as well as in implementing them effectively, and devising implementation strategies that take account of and mitigate risks.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to provide intellectual leadership and motivate multidisciplinary teams in a multicultural environment, as well as ensure coaching and development of staff.
- Ability to engage in networking with diplomacy, tact and a sense of political astuteness.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, orally and in writing, with strong representational abilities.
- Ability to identify key strategie issues, objectives, opportunities and risks.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English or French and good working knowledge of the other.
- A PhD in education or other related social sciences fields.
- Other degrees or short to medium-term training in disciplines relevant to the post.
- Experience of capacity development, including training of professionals and supporting government planning, policy and management units.
- Experience of applied education policy research.
- Experience in the field of international relations and diplomacy, multilateral cooperation and development.
- Experience working in an agile environment.
- Strong global professional network.
- Understanding of UNESCO’s strategic direction and familiarity with UNESCO’s operations.
- Knowledge of agile working methodology.
- Knowledge of other official UNESCO languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars. They consist of a basic salary and a post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, as well as exchange rates. Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, home travel, education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. More details can be found on the ICSC website . Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
ASSESSMENTEvaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.