Post Number : BFM 705
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Bureau Of Financial Management (BFM)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Finances
Type of contract : Temporary Appointment
Duration of contract : From 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 03-NOV-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: Six (6) monthsOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Budget Officer, under the direct supervision of the Chief of Section for Budget, Monitoring and Reporting (BMR) and the authority of the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), assists in the preparation and revision exercises related to the Organization’s budget as well as in the monitoring and reporting exercise conducted throughout the biennium. The CFO oversees the Organization’s policies and the planning related to the budgetary aspects, and the Chief of section will provide guidance to the incumbent in all aspects of the daily work, which includes the following:Long Description
- Conduct analysis of budgetary data, such as inflationary and statutory cost increases, staff cost factors, past trends and future forecast of economic data relevant to UNESCO’s budget for the purpose of preparing the biennial budget of the organization, and provide relevant findings and recommendations to the supervisor.
- Verify and consolidate budget elements for the purpose of constructing the Organization’s overall budget, in close cooperation with the Executive and Administrative Officers of specific Major Programme sectors as well as the BFM colleagues.
- Examine and analyse budget and expenditure related issues, through close contact with other BFM colleagues and sectors/bureaux as required, and initiate corrective actions, propose appropriate solutions for review by the Chief of section.
- Prepare the statutory budget utilization reports and other ad-hoc reports, in collaboration with other BFM colleagues and with the Executive and Administrative Officers of the Major Programme sectors.
- Assist in the long-term tasks related to the establishment and improvement of Results-based budgeting, Integrated Budget Framework, cost recovery policy, core system redesign project, other IT development, all of which are of inter-sectional nature, thus through close collaboration with the other sections in BFM as well as the sectors/bureaux of the organization.
- Draft/prepare correspondences, reports and documents related to budgetary matters under the responsiblities of the Section.
- Other additional tasks that may be required to ensure the success of the work team
Long DescriptionLong DescriptionCOMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)Communication (C)Accountability (C)Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)Planning and organizing (C)Results focus (C)Teamwork (C)Strategic thinking (M)–For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of public or business administration, financial management, economics or related field.
- At least four (4) years of progressively responsible and relevant experience in the area of budget or finance.
- Relevant experience acquired at the international level.
- Excellent IT skills, including MS software (Excel, Word and PowerPoint, etc.), and use of ERP systems.
- Excellent knowledge of English or French, and a good knowledge of the other language.
- Experience working in UNESCO or a similar International Organization.
- Excellent technical skills for data processing, analysis and consolidation.
- Excellent strategic and analytical skills in budget preparation.
- Very good interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective working relations within a multicultural environment.
- Very good coordination skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to draft documents and reports clearly and concisely.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Knowledge of other official UNESCO languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.