Security Assistant - SC5
Duty Station - Qamishly
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
From 11 September till 25 September 2019
Type of Contract : Service Contract ( SC5)
Duration : Six months
Duty Station : Qamishly
Number of required employee : 1
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). Job holders report to a Security Officer or the designate.
At this level job holders are expected to take responsibility for the completion of a range of security-related processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines and practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action on a range of security issues, deal with staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other colleagues. These jobs may require to work different shifts and report for duty on short notice.
To perform a range of specialised and process-oriented responsibilities related to security operations including monitoring and maintaining security equipment in line with established procedures.
- Review countrywide security situation on a daily basis through relible sources and advise/brief the supervisor/Field Security Officer (FSO) on trends/situation that could affect WFP operations on a short/ medium-term basis;
- Ensure full information is received and/or provided when starting/finishing daily period of duty;
- Support the supervisor/FSO in incident reporting, security assessments and internal admin issues in Al Qamishli security unit.
- Maintain all Security Plans and lists (including staff and eligible dependatns) up-to-date,
- Ensure that fire safety arrangements, plans for fire/ building evacuation, relocation/ evacuation of staff to a safe haven are updated and efficiently implemented;
- Maintain Security Risk Management Measurs (SRMMs) for equipment; assist in developing and implementing SRMMs and ensuring that all WFP offices are compliant;
- Supervise daily security activities; carry out continuous checks of security personnel attendance, performance of duties and quality of services;
- Report any deficiencies or issues in the services and recommend possible improvements;
- Assign duties to security personnel in the procedures to be followed during emergencies;
- Identify training needs and ensure that all security staff have completed and updated knowledge of security procedures and instructions;
- Be responsible for other security equipment issued to security staff and keep updated inventory lists/ database;
- Manage the Security database regarding daily activities, incidents, etc., including statistics and reporting; provide reports upon request with thorough analysis as required;
- Respond to personnel and telephone enquiries and provide appropriate information;
- Liaise as necessary with the local administration, local authorities, fire services and other emergency services;
- Perform other related duties as required
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Strategic approach to security risk management||Demonstrates understanding of the strategic context in which the security function operates and the broader implications of day-to-day work.|
|Operational knowledge of security risk management||Demonstrates some understanding of day to day security operations. Contributes knowledge to development of resolutions to aspects of challenges faced, as directed.|
|Security resource management||Demonstrates ability to track and compile reports on HQ and Field staffing and financial resource usage on a project-level basis.|
|Analysis and solution development||Demonstrates understanding of key UN inter-governmental body partner agencies. Understands implications of security information and reports and supports in the identification of mitigating actions against threats and vulnerabilities to WFP’s operations.|
|Planning compliance and emergency management||Supports in planning and prioritisation practices in-line with established security policies and procedures.|
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable is desirable.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic
- Experience: at least 4 years of progressively responsible experience in security administration and/or operations, preferably related to humanitarian field/emergency response, or experience in radio operation in the telecommunication field.
- Has applied knowledge of security operations technical processes which must be adhered to in day to day work
- Has supported security operations efforts as directed
- Has supported in providing ad-hoc technical guidance to staff members
WFP is dedicated to promoting and maintaining the highest degree of physical, mental and social well-being of all staff members. Accordingly, it seeks to offer a safe and healthy working environment focusing on
balancing the professional and personal demands of its personnel of all contract types and thus WFP offers flexible working options.
- Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in terms of “Experience”:
- Company/Organization name and scope of work of the organization
- Exact Position Title
- Contract type: part-time, full-time, volunteer, consultant, or freelancer
- Start and End date of Employment for each position: From (dd/mm/yyyy) to (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Responsibilities: To mention the main responsibilities that highlight your gained skills and experience
- A proof of your experience will be required in the final stage of recruitment.
- Only short-listed candidates, who meet the minimum requirements for the advertised position, shall be contacted.
- Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once application is submitted.
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar
External candidate :
As WFP is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive workplace and
committed to have a multicultural environment to foster creativity and productivity,
Females and Individuals with Special Needs are strongly encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Above texts are copied from UN WFP Official Web Page (WFP.org)
Copyright 2018 © World Food Programme
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
UN Job Openings at the General Services Category as of 12 August 2021
55 new jobs openings with the “Première Urgence Internationale” As of 10 July 2021