|Posting Title:||Human Resources Assistant, G6|
|Job Code Title:||HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT|
|Department/Office:||Department of Operational Support|
|Duty Station:||NEW YORK|
|Posting Period:||23 March 2020 – 22 April 2020|
|Job Opening Number:||20-Human Resources-DOS-133539-R-New York (O)|
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Headquarters Client Support Service (HQCSS), Division of Administration, Department of Operational Support (DOS), New York. The Human Resources Assistant reports to the Human Resources Officer, DOS.
The HQCSS also provides administrative support to the Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict, the Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Violence Against Children, the Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Children and Armed Conflict, the Ethics Office, the Global Compact Office, the Human Security Unit, the Office of Administration of Justice, the Office of Information and Communications Technology, the Office of the United Nations Ombudsman and Mediation Services, the Office of Special Envoy for Haiti, the Office of Victims’ Rights Advocate, the Office of Special Coordinator on Improving the United Nations Response to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, the United Nations Office for Partnerships, as well as to the liaison offices of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification in New York.
In line with the Secretary-General’s management reform report effective 01 January 2019 DOS will focus on operations, services, transactions and surge support to entities in weak environments. It will service and support the entire Secretariat – at Headquarters, the regional commissions and offices away from Headquarters and in the field.
Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
RECRUITMENT AND PLACEMENT
· Participates in the selection of candidates for secretarial, clerical and related categories positions; including evaluating and screening applications of such candidates, preparing profiles of candidates, and conducting preliminary interviews, and conducting roster searches for vacancies and identifying short-lists of candidates.
· Assists in the filling of posts for all categories, including initiating Job Openings and/or posting Temporary Job Openings in Inspira and following-up on reference checks and academic verifications for all positions in NY at the Professional and above level, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities. .
· Monitor the status of all JOs on a dynamic basis in order to meet the target dates.
· Oversees the maintenance of JOs/TJOs files and tracking status of JOs/TJOs .
· Advises staff on visa matters.
· Initiates, processes, monitors, reviews and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the human resource activities such as recruitment, placement, relocation, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification requests and separation.
· Provides advice and guidance to staff under portfolio with respect to human resources procedures, processes and practices, liaising with counterparts in other offices, as necessary.
· Monitors staffing tables; prints and reviews different reports from different sources such as Umoja, NOVA and UN Management Dashboard; liaises with Programme Managers to assure timely management of staff member appointment, assignments and separation.
· Prepares requests for granting of special post allowances (SPA) for the review of the Departmental SPA panel.
· Assists in reviewing and processing requests for classification.
· Provides advice and answers general queries on classification procedures and processes.
· Conducts exit interviews for separating staff and assists him/her in final arrangements.
· Maintains HR related automated systems and applications including automated databases containing HR related statistics and prepares periodic reports.
· Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and assists in the preparation of notes/reports.
· Provides general office support services; processes, drafts, edits, proofreads and finalizes for signature/approval a variety of correspondence and other communications.
· Sets up and maintains files/records (electronic and paper); schedules appointments/meetings, monitors deadlines, etc.
· Prepares written response to queries concerning HR related matters.
· Trains and provides supervision to new and lower-level staff in the unit.
· Performs other duties as required.
· Professionalism: Knowledge of human resources policies, procedures and practices and ability to interpret and apply them in an organizational setting. Demonstrates use of initiative and makes appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipates next steps. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
· Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
· Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High school diploma or equivalent.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administrative services or related area is required.
Experience with SAP based ERP systems such as Umoja or equivalent is desirable.
Experience using recruitment platforms such as Inspira or similar is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Appointment against this position is for an initial period of one year.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application. Having passed the Administrative Support Assessment Test in English at the United Nations headquarters, Economic Commission for Africa, Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia, United Nations Office at Geneva, United Nations Office at Vienna, International criminal tribunal for Rwanda or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term “sexual harassment” means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator’s working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Above texts are copied from United Nations Official Web Page (careers.un.org)
Copyright 2020 United Nations. All rights reserved
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- UN Job in New York, Management and Progarmme Analysis Assistant, G5, DMSPC BTAD-132991
- UN Job in New York, HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT, G5, DPPA-134268
- UN Job in Ethiopia, Senior Administrative Assistant, G7, RCS-134511
- UN Job in New York, Human Resources Assistant, G6, DOS-133535
- UN Job in Nairobi, FINANCE ASSISTANT, G5, UN-HABITAT-132530