Requisition number 422 – Posted 24/09/2020
Date of publication: 24 September 2020
Deadline for applications: 23 October 2020
Post title: Team Assistant
Vacancy Announcement Number: 2020/422
Duty Station: The Hague, Netherlands
Organizational unit: Security and General Assistance Unit
Indicative minimum net annual remuneration: EUR 35,474
Contract type and duration: Temporary, until 30 June 2021
Reporting directly to the Head of the Security and General Assistance Division, and within the limits of delegated authority, the Team Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- assisting the Head of Division in the co-ordination of programme and project planning and preparation work relating to security and safety, information security, business continuity, driving operations, mail room operations, and any other operational areas; monitoring the status of programme and project proposals and taking receipt of relevant documentation for review and approval;
- compiling, summarizing and presenting basic information/data on specific programmes/projects and related topics or issues; following up within the Division to ensure programme and project initiatives are implemented as directed by the Head of Division, and with partners in other departments and divisions to ensure programme and project steps are pursued and completed;
- reviewing project documents, especially cost plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identifying inconsistencies and distributing project documents to relevant parties upon approval;
- serving as the focal point for the administrative co-ordination of programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison within the Division to initiate requests, process and follow up on administrative actions, e.g. establishment of administrative systems and procedures, preparation of relevant documents, sourcing of required information inputs, recruitment and appointment of personnel, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services;
- compiling, summarizing and entering data on project delivery; drafting related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and bringing these to the attention of the Head of Division;
- reviewing the Division’s budget revisions; verifying availability of funds; ensuring necessary approval and entry in electronic system; maintaining oversight of budgetary and financial expenditures and commitments;
- drafting correspondence on relevant issues and preparing and updating periodic reports, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets, etc.;
- providing general office assistance; responding to complex information requests and enquiries; reviewing, logging and routing incoming correspondence; setting up and maintaining files/records; organizing meetings and workshops; handling routine administrative tasks, such as maintaining attendance records, assessing telephone billing, etc.;
- when necessary, delivering ICJ mail, parcels and documents to relevant addressees (ministries, embassies, permanent missions, etc.);
- providing guidance/training to other staff of the Division;
- performing other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Additional qualifications in operations management, security management, information security or business continuity management would be considered an asset.
- Valid driving licence in the Netherlands is desirable.
Four years of experience in programme or project administration, technical co-operation or related area.
French and English are the two official and working languages of the Court. Proficiency in one of these languages is required, with a very good working knowledge of the other. Knowledge of other official United Nations languages and of Dutch would be an advantage.
- Professionalism: Has knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures; shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject-matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Depending on professional background, experience and family situation, a competitive compensation and benefits package is offered.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
The selected candidate may be subject to a security clearance, including verification of the information provided in the personal history form and a criminal record check. All candidates should be in a position to submit an electronic copy of their passport and all diplomas listed on their profile when requested.
Only applications from candidates under serious consideration will be acknowledged.
The Registrar reserves the right not to appoint any candidate to the post, or to appoint one at a lower level or on the basis of a modified job description. Applications that are found by the Court to meet the above criteria may be added to a reserve list in case a similar vacancy arises in the future.
Like and Follow us on