|Posting Title:||Information Systems Assistant (Web Designer), G6|
|Job Code Title:||INFORMATION SYSTEMS ASSISTANT|
|Department/Office:||Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia|
|Posting Period:||03 September 2020 – 02 October 2020|
|Job Opening Number:||20-Information Management Systems-ESCWA-140807-R-Beirut (X)|
Org. Setting and Reporting
The Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) forms part of the United Nations Secretariat and, like the other regional commissions, operates under the supervision of the United Nations Economic and Social Council. ESCWA comprises 20 Arab countries in Western Asia and North Africa. ESCWA provides a framework for the formulation and harmonization of sectoral policies for member countries, a platform for congress and coordination, a home for expertise and knowledge, and an information observatory. ESCWA activities are coordinated with the divisions and main offices of the Headquarters of the United Nations, specialized agencies, and international and regional organizations, including the League of Arab States and its subsidiary bodies, and the Gulf Cooperation Council.
This position is in the Information and Communication Technology Section (ICTS), Resource Management and Service Development Division (RMSDD) of ESCWA. The Information Systems Assistant reports directly to the Team Leader, Applications Support and Development unit, and will be under the general supervision of the Chief, ICTS.
Within delegated authority, the Information Systems Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Acts as focal point for receipt and processing of user requests. Independently liaises with users to define and specify requirements.
2. Coordinates various web projects and provide technical support in assigned areas.
3. Provides support on web development matters, including security, data integrity and recovery; assists with needs assessment for new web sites, graphics and features (including modifications to existing systems); performs ongoing reviews with users and developers and responds to requirements; requests, implements, provides operational support and maintains various websites.
4. Provides technical support in the planning, specification, design, development, implementation and maintenance of customized web designs; works with senior IT staff on the definition and specification of requirements; builds, tests and modifies prototype websites based on detailed instructions; installs and maintains websites.
5. Creates the look, layout, and features of a website in an attractive professional graphic design and intuitive, user-friendly style, and designs collaterals.
6. Provides guidance to new/junior staff and supervise the work of Individual Contractors undertaking web design projects.
7. Installs application web design tools and hardware according to specifications.
8. Creates and maintains websites using various CMS architectures, etc.; assists in the preparation of technical and user documentation, as well as in the production of training materials.
9. Maintains regular contact with users and technical staff in user offices and provides support as required.
10. Conducts research on new technologies as requested; keeps abreast of developments in the field; assists in testing and evaluating new products and technologies.
11. Performs other related duties as required.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of organizational information infrastructure, including hardware, software and application systems. Knowledge of relevant programming language(s) and ability to use programming skills to develop information systems. Knowledge of system development workflow and document flow processes, ability to conduct research and gather information from a wide variety of standard and non-standard sources. Ability to respond to changing requirements and assignments, ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
• COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• TECHNOLOGICAL AWARENESS: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Certification in digital and web design tools and technologies or equivalent is desirable.
Seven (7) years of experience in information systems analysis and programming, systems administration and maintenance, software development, technical writing or related area.
Experience in performing needs assessment for new web sites, graphics and features (including modifications to existing systems) is desirable.
Experience in the implementation and maintenance of customized web designs is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. In addition, Arabic is a working language at ESCWA.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Fluency in Arabic is required.
Note: “Fluency” equals a rating of ‘fluent’ in all four areas (speak, read, write, and understand) and “Knowledge of” equals a rating of ‘confident’ in two of the four areas.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test when they are short-listed for a job opening. Having passed the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters, Economic Commission for Africa, Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia, United Nations Office at Geneva, United Nations Office at Vienna, International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia may be accepted in lieu of the GGST per applicable eligibility guidelines.
Evaluation of qualified candidates will include assessment(s) and a competency-based interview.
• This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
• Candidates are fully responsible for all arrangements and costs for attending all assessments and interviews. All candidates shall receive the same notice period for attending the assessments and interviews.
• A formal offer of appointment shall not be issued unless the candidates has the legal right to live and work in Lebanon. The candidate is fully responsible for all costs and arrangements related to travel and relocation (including visas and permits) to the duty station and for continued employment at ESCWA.
• This position is available for one year from the date of appointment/assignment. Extension of the appointment/assignment is subject to availability of funds, extension of the mandate, continued need for services, and satisfactory performance.
• Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General, who may assign them to any task or function in the organization. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions during their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
• The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
• At the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the recruitment and employment of staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity, with due regard to geographic diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications and organizational needs. The United Nations is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. The United Nations recruits and employs staff regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds or disabilities. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities may be provided to support participation in the recruitment process when requested and indicated in the application.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term “sexual harassment” means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator’s working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, United Nations staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the United Nations in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Above texts are copied from United Nations Official Web Page (careers.un.org)
Copyright 2020 United Nations. All rights reserved
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- UN Job Openings As of 11 November 2022
- Information and Telecommunication Technology Professional Jobs with the United Nations As of 17 October 2022
- SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL Jobs As of 14 October 2022
- UN Job Openings at the General Service Category As of 14 October 2022
- UNEP Job Opening in Beirut, Lebanon, UNEP-185387