Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Amman
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 7 to 11 months
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 05-FEB-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Since its creation in 1945, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization’s (UNESCO) mission has been to contribute to the building of peace, poverty eradication, lasting development and intercultural dialogue. Jordan joined UNESCO on June 14th, 1950 and in 1986, Amman became the regional office for Education, Science and Communications. In 1996, UNESCO Amman was designated as a Regional Office for Culture and Communication and in the year 2000, it became the National Office for Jordan.
Building on previous and current phases of the project “Provision of TVET, On-the-Job Training, and Entrepreneurship Education to Youth Affected by the Syria Crisis in Jordan” funded by the Government of the Republic of Korea and implemented by UNESCO Amman Office to support an additional 250 (50% males and 50% females) Syrian refugee and vulnerable Jordanian youth with scholarships to access BTEC-level TVET programmes in relevant fields of study. Towards the end of the project, beneficiaries will benefit from on-the-job training and entrepreneurship education to enable them to apply their newly developed knowledge and skills in a professional environment.
The main beneficiaries of this project are Syrian refugee and vulnerable Jordanian youth, both males and females, with the primary objective of:
• Empowering them to restore hope in their future, to increase their employability prospects upon resettlement, to reduce their social marginalization and ultimately to prevent them from becoming vulnerable to any forms of radicalization and violent extremism;
• Preparing a critical mass of qualified human capital needed for the future reconstruction of the refugees’ home country (Syria) upon repatriation.
More specific objectives include:
• Enrolling an additional 250 youth in national TVET institutions (60% Syrians, 40% Jordanians; 50% female and 50% male) in Jordan
Under this position, the work will focus on the following activities of the project:
• Implementation and monitoring of phase III and phase IV of the project “Provision of TVET, On-the-Job Training, and Entrepreneurship Education to Youth Affected by the Syria Crisis in Jordan” in close cooperation with the implementing partner LUMINUS Technical University College (LTUC).
• Successful delivery of the TVET training programmes (including monitoring of the on the job-training phase).
Under the overall authority of the Head of the UNESCO Amman Office, and the direct supervision of the Project Officer responsible for the activities of the project “Provision of TVET, On-the-Job Training, and Entrepreneurship Education to Youth Affected by the Syria Crisis in Jordan”, the incumbent will:
- Support the project officer in the implementation of the project activities in particular:
- Providing secretarial, logistics and clerical assistance to the project team.
- Drafting a variety of materials including correspondence, e-mails, minutes of meetings, presentations using a variety of word processing templates and spread sheet software and performing data entry from pre-existing forms as well as assisting in the usage of UNESCO’s own data information systems, through DUO system.
- Assisting in the arrangement of activities and meeting, events, trainings, etc.; by copying/distributing materials, reserving venues and sending invitations, drafting letters, memos, briefings, presentations and taking notes in internal and external meetings.
- Drafting translation of project and sector related documents from Arabic to English and from English to Arabic.
- Preparing travel arrangements for external consultants and UNESCO staff including flight and hotel bookings, transportation, visa, travel authorization and any other requirements as needed.
- Handling the establishment and monitoring of vendor numbers, contracts, purchase orders and other financial administrative duties for the project team and the ED-sector.
- Maintain files and reference systems, and other manual and computerised information and reference systems (e.g.travel forms, narrative and financial reports, mission schedules, payments, logistics, regular contact lists, UNESTEAM, share driver, etc.) according to UNESCO regulations and procedures.
- Provide support in the visibility activities of the project and the education sector in general (e.g. contribute to bi-weekly briefings, reports, news, website etc.).
- Carry out any other duties as requested by the Supervisors and the Head of Office.
1. Academic qualifications
University degree in business, accounting, public administration, or any other relevant field.
2. Years of relevant work experience
Six years of relevant professional experience in administrative and program support in the public and private sectors.
3. Language requirement
– Arabic mother tongue is a must.
– Very good knowledge of written and spoken English is required.
4. Functional Competencies and Skills
‐ Drive for results;
‐ Computer Skills: including internet navigation and various office applications, such as Microsoft Office;
‐ Ability to work under pressure;
‐ Strong planning and organizational skills;
‐ Ability to work accurately;
‐ Learning and researching.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Above texts are copied from UNESCO official Web Page (unesco.org)
Copyright 2020 UNESCO. All rights reserved
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
UN FAO Job Openings in the General Service Positions as of 23 02 2020
UN FAO Job Openings for Professional Positions as of 23 02 2020
This position is located in Resident Coordinator Office in State of Kuwait. Under minimal supervision, incumbents report to the Resident Coordinator