Data Analyst P3
INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATION UNION
Geneva - Switzerland
|Date of Issue: 18 January 2019 |
Currently accepting applications
|Applications from women are encouraged|
|Functions: Data Analyst||Post Number: TD42/P3/350|
|Deadline for Applications (23.59 Geneva CH) : 18 March 2019 |
(35 day(s) until closing deadline)
|Duration of Contract: 2 years with possibility of renewal for 2 additional years|
|Type of Appointment: Fixed-term Appointment||Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland|
ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies, with the mission to connect the world. To achieve this, ITU manages the radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbits at the international level, works to improve communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishes global standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of communication systems.
ITU also organizes global Telecom events bringing together the most influential representatives of government and the private sector to exchange ideas and knowledge for the benefit of all.
VACANCY NOTICE Nº 1P-2019/BDT-PKM/EXTERNAL/P3
The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector of the Union (the Union has three functional sectors: Standardization, Radiocommunication and Development) which deals mainly with development policies, strategies, programming, as well as technical cooperation activities (expert missions, training programmes, field projects, seminars, etc.).
Within the Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) of the ITU and in close collaboration with the Deputy to the Director and the ITU Regional Offices, the Projects and Knowledge Management Department (PKM) is responsible for assisting ITU Member States and ITU-D Sector Members strengthen the institutional and organizational capability to adapt to the rapidly
changing telecommunication/ICT environment through capacity building. The Department also provides administrative and technical support in the formulation of project proposals and implementation of projects, project monitoring and evaluation including the management of the ICT Development Fund (ICT-DF) to support the implementation of projects. The Department
produces and disseminates timely statistical and analytical data on the Telecommunication/ICT Sector and the Information Society.
The Department is also responsible for providing concentrated assistance to least developed countries, Small Island developing states and landlocked developed countries. In addition, PKM implements activities and projects in the domain of emergency telecommunications, e-waste management, and climate change. The Department is also responsible for making
contribution to and following-up the work of ITU-D Study Groups for issues related to the responsibilities of the Department.
Duties / Responsibilities
• Under the supervision of the Head, ICT Data and Statistics Division of the Projects and Knowledge Management Department, the incumbent carries out the following tasks:
Coordinates the implementation of research and analysis on ICT and telecommunication trends and their impact on social and economic development based on quantitative data, in particular those collected by the Division. Prepares presentations, speeches, press releases and data visualizations on global ICT developments.
• Drafts substantive inputs to the Division’s research publications, in particular the Measuring the Information Society Report, featuring recent trends and analysis of information society developments reports. Provides inputs to the statistical publications of the Division, including the World Telecommunication/ICT Indicators (WTI) database and the ITU Yearbook of Statistics. Drafts inputs to speeches in the area of ICT trends and developments.
Initiates and coordinates the implementation of the Division’s data collection on ICT prices and world telecommunication ICT (WTI) indicators. Supervises and coordinates the work of external consultants, providing guidance to the general service in collecting these statistics.
• Proposes, develops and applies traditional and innovative quantitative methods for imputing/forecasting, analyzing and
interpreting statistical data, such as big data analytics and innovative statistical modelling approaches.
• Coordinates, and implements the work of the Expert Group on Telecommunication/ICT Indicators. Plans and ensures the implementation of the expert group meetings on ICT statistics, identifying new and forward-looking topics and liaising with speakers and experts.
• Participates in the Division’s technical cooperation activities by organizing and delivering training workshops and advisory missions, and preparing methodological documents and tools; processes internal and external requests for statistics and answers queries related to methodologies and concepts applied to the data.
• Contributes to the preparation and organization of ICT-related meetings and seminars, including the World Telecommunication/ICT Indicators Symposium (WTIS) and its statistical expert groups; identifies relevant topics and speakers; coordinates meeting documents and presentations.
• Collaborates with international and regional organizations in the area of ICT statistic, including the Partnership on Measuring ICT for Development. Represents ITU at international and regional meetings and seminars. Prepares and makes presentations related to ICT statistics and measurements.
• Performs other tasks as requested by the Head of the Division.
Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
• Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision-making; Client and Service Orientation, and; Planning and Organizing.
• Essential Technical Competencies: Experience in organizing conferences and meetings and representing the organization at high level statistical meetings. Knowledge in researching regional and international ICT developments and drafting of related analytical reports. Excellent drafting skills with proven experience in the drafting and publication of research papers and reports based on quantitative analysis.
• Qualifications required
Advanced university degree in economics, statistics, mathematics or a related field OR education from a reputed college of advanced education with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of an advanced university degree in one of the fields above. For internal candidates, a first university degree in one of the fields above in combination with seven years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree for promotion or rotation purposes.
At least five years of progressively responsible experience in the area of ICT and telecommunication policy and analysis, including at least two at the international level. Experience in the use of quantitative methods for analysis is essential. A Doctorate
in a related field can be considered as a substitute for two years of working experience. Experience in manipulating time series data and preparing high quality statistical output for publication as well as analysing a wide variety of data. Excellent computer skills specifically in the use and manipulation of databases and knowledge of statistical software. Operational knowledge of computer applications and software, in particular, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, VBA, SQL querying and one or more of the following standard statistical packages SPSS, SAS, STATA, R, Matlab.
Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration).
Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.
Annual salary from $ 59,151 + post adjustment $ 41,406
Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment, please refer to
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test.
Interviews may be used as a form of screening.