NRC Job in Bangladesh
Do you want to join our team in Bangladesh? We are looking for a new Area Manager for our operation in Cox’s Bazaar.
Today, the district of Cox’s Bazar in Bangladesh, only a few kilometres from the Myanmar border, has been home to one of the world’s largest refugee camps for the past 3 year. The concentration of approximately 915,000 Rohingya refugees living in temporary shelters makes this one of the densest camps in the world and the conditions are poor. People lack proper shelters, toilet facilities, clean water and food. The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), working in partnership with UN agencies and national NGOs, focuses on the protection and humanitarian needs of the affected population, including refugees, host communities and local communities in the district. As the displacement becomes more protracted, we contribute to durable solutions for the communities, allowing us to better respond to the longer-term needs of the Rohingya refugees and members of the Bangladeshi population.
In 2020, our programme has continued to focus on education; youth and adolescent programmes; shelter and renewable energy; housing, land and property rights and civil documentation; construction including learning centres, community spaces and Isolation centres; durable solutions supporting livelihoods; protection and advocacy. NRC will seek to expand into climate induced displacement with local and national partnerships.
The purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost-effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
The Area Manager reports to the Country Director.
Due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, the recruitment process and start date may be delayed. Nevertheless, we encourage qualified candidates to apply and we will inform shortlisted applicants of any changes as the process evolves. Thank you for your understanding.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support the Country Office transition to right-size support structures in line with NRC co-op by reorganizing both support and programme teams reporting lines in the Cox’s Bazar Area Office.
- Develop and implement an emergency response plan in line with NRC Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) protocols and procedures for scale-up of post emergency activities.
- Ensure that all staff understand and correctly promote an accountable people centric response; including staff awareness and adherence to NRC’s Protection from Sexual Exploitation, Sexual Abuse (PSEA) & Sexual Harassment Policy.
- Support the development of strong and functional M&E and Risk & Compliance systems. This includes ensuring grants opening and closure meetings are conducted as required and data collection systems are in place and information is properly stored and analyzed.
- Strengthen the capacity of the programme teams to ensure procurement plans and timelines are being met.
Liaise regularly with local authorities (political and security), donors and humanitarian actors in the area of operations and represent NRC at “Cox’s Bazar Team Leaders” coordination structures.
- Ensure work and development plans are completed by all staff members in the area of operations and performance feedback sessions are conducted on a minimum quarterly basis.
- Line management of senior programme staff and support functions in the area.
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG).
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Provide area specific input on CC strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action.
- Organize grants opening and closure meetings at area level
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans.
- Ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and CC strategies.
- Represent NRC and networking on area level.
- Ensure that capacity building is provided to all staff in the area.
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area.
- Promote the rights of refugees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a Senior Project Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in the Cox’s Bazar Rohingya and refugee response.
- Solid experience from sector/cluster coordination, grants management and programme development,
- Experience from advocacy work
- Experience with start-up
We are looking for a person with the ability to hande insecure environments, think strategic, build trust and empower others, manage performance and development as well as manage resources to optimise resultsA sense of humor is an asset!
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s values; To be dedicated, innovative, inclusive, and accountable are attitudes and beliefs that shall guide our actions and relationships.
We can offer
Commencement: As soon as possible
Duration: 24 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
Grade: 10 – see attached NRC grade structure
Duty station: Cox’s Bazaar, Bangladesh with approx 20 % travel
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
NRC reserves the right to conduct a full background check on candidates.
You can find the NRC grade structure HERE
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Associate Programme Management Officer( Multiple Positions) Level : P-2Job ID : 216794Job Network : Economic, Social and DevelopmentJob Family :
Programme Policy Officer (Durable Solutions and Refugee Integration – Coordination Consultant)Requisition ID: 829922 – Posted on 13/10/2023 – Short Term Monthly – Africa, Western – MauritaniaNouakchott – Working Job Language (1) – PROGRAMME