Being a finance coordinator with MSF can be a complex but rewarding job.
As an MSF finance coordinator it will be your job to develop and implement finance policies, providing expert financial support to the project so that every department has what it needs to do the best job possible, no matter what happens.
From ensuring that finances are available for a quick scale-up of operations after an emergency, to managing the day-to-day finances needed to run a field hospital, you will provide support to the entire project, approving the budgets for medical supplies and logistic materials. You will also liaise with the capital office to ensure that the project is run in accordance with local laws and customs.
As a finance coordinator you have visibility of all operations in the project; it’s a complex but very rewarding job.CÉCILE BARRIER, MSF FINANCE COORDINATORSHARE
This is an exciting and diverse role in support of the medical activity and involves some or all of the following:
- Implement and supervise financial transaction procedures and systems, to ensure transparent and traceable accounting practices
- Define and analyse the project budget to ensure that funds are used according to the funding contracts, proposing corrective actions if needed
- Implement circuits and workflows, such as management of cash boxes, transfers, advances, purchasing procedures, payment approvals, follow-up of payments and bank reconciliations
- Ensure the timely execution and control of monthly/yearly accountancy closure, financial reports, audits and all service contracts for the project site
- Ensure that MSF staff with financial responsibilities are aware of and comply with local finance procedures and laws
Depending on our activities and needs, your responsibilities may be adapted according to the specific projects.
You will not face these challenges alone; other MSF team members (both international and locally hired staff) will provide technical support, including comprehensive guidelines and protocols.
- Minimum of two years’ relevant work experience in finance and human resources
- IT skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English and/or French
- Available for a minimum of six months
- Commitment to MSF’s work and values
- Strong team player
- Willingness to work in all kinds of contexts worldwide, including unstable areas
- Adaptable and able to work in a multicultural team
- Flexible and able to cope with high levels of stress
- Self-driven with a solution-oriented approach
- Ability to train and supervise others
- People-oriented and diplomatic approach
- Degree in finance, business, management or human resources
- Bioforce diploma, Swiss federal vocational diploma (CFC) or specialised certificate
- Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic or Russian
- Experience working with MSF or another NGO
- Experience working in developing countries
- People management experience