If you are interested in this role, please apply prior to the closing date of Thursday 17 December as applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Mercy Corps has been an EC partner for more than 20 years, receiving significant funding for its humanitarian and development programmes through its UK entity, Mercy Corps Europe. In 2017, Mercy Corps established a new entity based in the Netherlands to ensure continued access to the EC funding after the UK leaves the EU. Maintaining and increasing our engagement with the EC is critical to ensuring our on-going ability to support our programmes and advance our policy and influence work. Currently, our funding from EC institutions and our (limited) strategy for advocacy around key EU policies are both staffed from our offices in the Hague, Edinburgh and London. The successful completion of this assignment has the potential to positively impact the lives of millions of people that we work with and for around the world.
Purpose / Project Description:
Mercy Corps is looking for a consultant to support the programmes and policy teams in the development of an engagement strategy for the EU to position us for and secure a significant increase in funding from EC institutions, as well as identify opportunities for policy influence. The Consultant will work with Mercy Corps in Europe to connect with relevant networks, institutions and individuals in Brussels in support of the strategy. The consultant will represent Mercy Corps at EU institutions, promote our work and liaise with peer agencies, communities of practice, networks, and other fora and stakeholders, in order to increase Mercy Corps’ visibility, relationships and ultimately funding opportunities in Brussels.
The Consultant will:
- Gather, analyse and present information about key EU policies, funding instruments and partnership opportunities of relevance to Mercy Corps strategic priorities.
- Analysis and updates on the new MMF.
- Advise and work with Mercy Corps’ teams to develop an engagement strategy for Brussels to secure a significant increase in funding for Mercy Corps.
- Establish connections with key representatives of the EU institutions, peer agencies and networks.
- Coordinate with Mercy Corps teams to ensure visibility and representation in key events by actively networking, building strategic alliances and partnerships.
Consultant Deliverables and Timeline:
|1. Workplan for the consultancy in collaboration with the MCNL Director, MCNL Policy and Advocacy Advisor, and MCE Senior Director Programmes, Funding and Operations||Week 1|
|2. Presentation of EU funding mechanisms, relevant policy processes, peer agencies’ communities of practice and networks, and other relevant fora and stakeholders with recommendations for Mercy Corps’ engagement strategy;||End of week 3|
|3. Draft Brussels engagement strategy. The strategy shall map out funding and policy engagement priorities in line with Mercy Corps European Strategy.||Week 6|
|4. Bi-weekly updates on representation and profile-raising activities in Brussels.|
|5. Draft Final Report||Week 10|
|6. Final report and handover||Week 12|
The Consultant will report to:
The Consultant will work closely with:
MCNL Policy and Advocacy Advisor
MCNL Strategic Partnerships Manager
MCNL and MCE Programme Teams
Requirements and skills:
- Full understanding of, and an existing personal network of EU institutions, NGOs and NGO networks in Brussels;
- At least 4 years working at a senior level dealing with EU-institutions in Brussels;
- Track record in fundraising for the non-profit sector from EU funding sources;
- Knowledge of EU funding instruments s and policy processes;
- Excellent networking and communications skills;
- Excellent information analysis and presentations skills;
- Inter-personal and communication skills in a multinational context;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. French desirable.
- UN Job Openings, National Professionals and General Services Categories as of 11 June 2021
- UN Job Openings, Professional and Higher Categories as of 10 June 2021
- UN Job Openings, Professional and Higher Categories as of 24 May 2021
- UN Job Openings, National Professionals and General Services Categories as of 21 May 2021
- UN Jobs in Lebanon, FIELD SECURITY ASSOCIATE (BEIRUT) – THREE POSITIONS, G6, DSS-154041