Senior Integrated Protection Coordinator
Requisition ID: req906
Job Title: Senior Integrated Protection Coordinator
Sector: Violence Prevention and Response
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
In response to the influx of Syrian refugees to Lebanon in mid-2012, IRC opened a country office and launched humanitarian assistance programming. IRC operates throughout Lebanon, with the main office in Beirut and field offices in Qobayat, Zahle, Tripoli, Tyre and Mount Lebanon. IRC’s programs assist Syrian refugees and vulnerable Lebanese in host communities across multiple sectors: education, livelihoods, protection, women’s protection and empowerment and child protection. IRC Lebanon’s current portfolio amounts to $23M, with further growth anticipated.
The Senior Integrated Protection Coordinator provides overall strategic direction for the integrated protection program while supporting the strong integration of protection principles and approaches across IRC’s other sector programs, and maximizing the potential of IRC’s evidence generation and advocacy on protection trends in Lebanon. The Senior Coordinator will work closely with sector leads and the DDP and CD to develop a comprehensive integrated protection strategy (inclusive of Women’s Protection and Empowerment, Child Protection and Protection and Rule of Law programming), in line with the country program five-year Strategic Action plan, that ensures IRC’s integrated protection programming is coherently delivering needs-based protection services to refugees and other at-risk populations in Lebanon. He/she will also lead in the development and implementation of a research agenda on protection issues in Lebanon, and work closely with senior management, regional and HQ counterparts, IRC media and advocacy departments, and others, to ensure IRC’s public positions are in line with trends and issues on the ground in Lebanon. Lastly, the Senior Protection Coordinator will contribute to the development of a harmonized regional approach to protection monitoring, and enhanced sharing of protection tools and approaches across IRC’s SRR programs.
Integrated Protection, Strategy and Innovation
- In collaboration with sector leads the DDP and CD, develop a comprehensive integrated protection strategy for Lebanon that enhances our capacity to efficiently and coherently deliver needs-based protection services in line with the goals of the IRC2020 Strategic Action Plan.
- Lead a comprehensive assessment of opportunities for greater cross-sector integration within IRC’s program units, and develop a workplan for reaching integration goals by the end of 2016; as required, support development of cross-sector SOPs, tools, training modules, etc.
- Working closely with the Protection Coordinator, ensure IRC’s ongoing protection program reflects IRC standards for quality and innovation.
- Lead development and management of Integrated Protection strategic projects and promote cross-departmental learning and collaboration.
Research, Learning and Analysis
- Lead protection assessments and research aimed at generating a strong evidence base for IRC protection programming, as well as informing IRC advocacy in Lebanon and globally.
- Work closely with IRC’s advocacy and media teams, and the Violence Prevention and Response Unit, for the launch and dissimination of research reports and findings.
- In coordination with the Advocacy team, contribute to the advocacy efforts of IRC Lebanon and the Middle East through analysis of the policy environment and protection trends, staff briefings, and external representation in relevant discussions in Lebanon.
- Support the greater sharing and use of research and learning within IRC’s program sectors, including by contributing to program development and design, to ensure interventions are responsive to needs and informed by a sound understanding of the protection environment in Lebanon.
Program Management and Quality
- Provide technical support to ensure IRC’s Protection program in Lebanon continues to set standards for quality and innovation.
- Provide technical and management leadership to technical pieces of the Protection teams, including protection mainstreaming and holistic support for working refugees, and Legal services integrated with other sectors, to ensure IRC’s protection interventions in these areas are in line with best practice and responsive to needs.
Coordination & Representation
- As needed and in coordination with other protection sector leads and country program management, represents IRC in inter-agency forums and discussions.
- Regularly coordinate with internal program and operational stakeholders, the Protection/Rule of Law Technical Advisors, Women’s Protection and Empowerment, Children’s Protection, Economic Recovery and Development, Education and other IRC colleagues.
Staff Management and Development
- Coach, train, and mentor staff with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team and providing professional development guidance
- Supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Provide constructive feedback and counsel on appropriate career paths and professional development.
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being; approve and manage all leave requests to ensure adequate coverage.
- Offer leadership support for successful adherence by staff to IRC’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Deputy Director for Programs
Position directly supervises: Protection Coordinator, Protection and Livelihoods Manager, Legal Manager, Protection Coordinator, Men’s PSS Lead
Indirect Reporting: Protection and Rule of Law Technical Advisor
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Grants Department, Supply Chain, Finance, HR, Research Evaluation and Learning Technical Unit
External: Protection Working Group, peer and partner agencies, donors
· BA/BS Degree in international development, law, human rights, or a related field; MA/MS a plus
· Minimum of 5 years professional experience in humanitarian response, with specific experience in protection programming in emergency or post conflict settings.
· Demonstrated experience using international human rights standards in protection programming
· Strong program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills
· Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties.
· INGO experience required; experience working with the interagency coordination mechanisms desirable.
· Must be capable of applying their skills and knowledge in a range of capacities, including direct implementation, advisory functions, training and the transfer of technical knowledge and management skills to others.
· Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
· Fluency in English required, Arabic a distinct advantage
The position is unaccompanied and is based in Beirut with frequent field travel. Modest individual housing is provided. The security phase for Lebanon is yellow, and all employees are required to abide by any security directives put in place.
International Rescue Committee is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Copyright © International Rescue Committee, 2018
Share this job on your social network and with your friends
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Job Opening Posting Title: INFORMATION SYSTEMS ASSISTANT (Unified Communications and Collaboration Technician), G5 Job Code Title: INFORMATION SYSTEMS ASSISTANT Department/Office:
Job Opening Posting Title: Procurement Assistant, G6 Job Code Title: PROCUREMENT ASSISTANT Department/Office: Department of Operational Support Duty Station: NEW