Legal Team Leader
Requisition ID: req2797
Job Title: Legal Team Leader
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Legal Team Leader will be responsible for local-level support and leadership of the legal services component of the North Lebanon protection programming. This will include weekly scheduling of tasks, day-to-day follow up with the Legal Officers under the Sr Manager supervision and in collaboration with the Legal Manager and identification of relevant legal trends and issues of concern. The Legal Team Leader will also play a key contributing role in the development of internal and external trainings and advocacy activities related to the legal component of the protection programming. The Legal Team Leader will be under the Sr manager supervision and technical reporting to the Legal Manager.
Major Responsibilities: Major responsibilities of the Legal Team Leader (not exhaustive) are listed below:
- Provide direct supervision and support to the mobile legal teams, including:
- Support to scheduling of, and participation in, legal field missions;
- Regular review of data collected by the teams, and reporting systems;
- Development of individual work plans, ensuring best practice standards are met as well as the development of professional development plans for staff;
- Regular review and follow up of case referrals and other associated action points for legal cases; and,
- Support mobile teams’ field access by meeting with relevant stakeholders and local authorities as required (in collaboration with the Protection Team Leader and the Security Focal Point).
- Monitor and report on legal trends from the field on a regular basis.
- Develop and deliver internal and external trainings for both IRC staff and other stakeholders on legal issues.
- Support the Legal Manager in the development of advocacy positions on legal issues, to be shared with the National Legal Partners Coordination Group.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with IRC Sectors, other INGO, UNHCR, government authorities, and other key stakeholders to ensure active coordination, collaboration, and information dissemination.
- Undertake other tasks as requested by the Legal Manager.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Sr protection Manager (North), technical: Legal manager (Beirut).
- Position directly supervises: 3 Legal Officers
- Indirect Reporting: NA
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Internal: Sr protection Monitor (North), Legal Team Leader (North Beqaa/South/ML) Security Focal Point (North), other IRC sectors: CP, WPE and ERD when needed.
- External: UNHCR Protection / Legal Focal Point
Education: Law Degree
- At least two years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international organization.
- Experience providing legal counseling and assistance on issues including HLP, employment law, civil status and criminal issues, is strongly preferred.
- Experience interacting with judicial, security and administrative authorities, is strongly preferred.
- Good protection background and knowledge of refugee context, as well as demonstrated ability to identify and refer vulnerable cases.
- Experience in leading or managing a team.
- Experience working with beneficiaries.
- Strong experience managing a diverse team.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Strong management and leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently
- Ability to interpret, analyze and synthesize information in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent knowledge of the Lebanese legal system, its stakeholders and processes is strongly preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills, timeliness, ability to determine priorities and great attention to detail.
- Proactive, flexible, team spirited and willing to learn.
- Good computer skills including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Language Skills: Excellent drafting and oral communication skills in both English and Arabic;
Working Environment: Located in Qobayat, with constant travel to all T5 regions, the working environment will be a combination of office-based (50%) and field-based in North Lebanon (50%).
International Rescue Committee is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Copyright © International Rescue Committee, 2018
Share this job on your social network and with your friends
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Job Opening Posting Title: INFORMATION SYSTEMS ASSISTANT (Unified Communications and Collaboration Technician), G5 Job Code Title: INFORMATION SYSTEMS ASSISTANT Department/Office:
Job Opening Posting Title: Procurement Assistant, G6 Job Code Title: PROCUREMENT ASSISTANT Department/Office: Department of Operational Support Duty Station: NEW