Job available in these locations:
Requisition ID: req10404
Job Title: Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Officer
Sector: Emergency Response
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Oromia, Ethiopia
SCOPE: The Position mainly involves undertaking rapid need assessments and implementing Emergency hygiene promotion and capacity building interventions in Bule-Hora Town,West Guji zone of Oromia region and Omo-Rate Town, Dassenech Woreda, South Omo zone of SNNPR. This position also involves deployment to emerging emergencies throughout Ethiopia whenever needed.
- Conduct assessments, planning, organizing, implementation, monitoring and assessment of the community HP activity and school hygiene activity programs in the project areas.
- Prepares detail physical & financial implementation plan for emerging emergency responses.
- Assist in preparing of IEC Materials to be used at community level.
- Facilitate in the selection, designing, pre-testing, developing, dissemination and evaluation of appropriate hygiene informative materials for effective hygiene promotion program.
- Coordinate community level hygiene awareness campaigns and prevention of AWD.
- Coordinate training for community representatives on Hygiene and sanitation and AWD control.
- Plan and ensure the accurate distribution of Non-Food Items.
- Works closely with Region, Zone/Woreda Water and Health Offices towards efficient and effective implementation of the project by conducting regular field visits and joint monitoring with project steering committee
- Works in collaboration with IRC EH Officer, Technicians and Ensure accurate integration of the interventions.
- Once instances are running, scope any digital tool changes or updates with development and field teams as needed, then ensure that they are built according to specifications. Update instance digital development roadmap as needed but complete a cohesive revision at least twice per year with field team.
- Prepare brief emergency related monthly updates and submit to the supervisor.
- Facilitate the establishment of water Users Associations and water boards, selection of pump/generator operators and plumbers in collaboration with woreda water desks.
- Upon request of the Senior SC Manager for Partnership, support on crafting and/or participate in relevant workshops and meetings to support coordination and collaboration, including quarterly partner monitoring visits and training events
- Facilitate community participation during the emergency interventions.
- Coordinate with the woreda partners in water quality testing and in scheme disinfection and ensure it is done timely.
- In coordination with health teams, support the facilitation of IPC committee meetings at health facilities, to ensure that feedback is provided to and addressed by health facilities, and that decisions and actions are communicated back to affected communities.
- Conduct continuous monitoring and consult of water user Association committees on management of their own water system.
- In teamwork the team ensure high level of community participation in the project and regularly track the participation in terms of money with local labor market standard.
- Identify, compile, and maintain training materials for uses.
- Provide information on technical problems and feedbacks to the technical team on time.
- Experience in handling from big to small scale water supply system schemes, sanitation facilities design in the rural community and having good knowledge of project management. NGO experience is preferable.
- Facilitate in coordinating trainings and workshops for the administrative partners and the EHAs and coordinate in preparation and prioritizing all the required training materials.
- Report activity progress and situation on monthly bases to the SERRO/ERR manager of the respective woreda.
- Maintain strong working relationships with respective IRC staffs and partners like WUAs, HEWs, Community health workers, kebele leaders, schoolteachers by coordinating regular review meetings at kebele level at least once per month
- Facilitate and Ensure that all the WUA has developed by laws, has standard water fee collection, and opened bank account for accurate facial management system of the collected water fee and link with government sectors for sustainability of the system
- Perform another task assigned by his/her supervisor
- BA/BSc or Diploma in Sanitary Science, Public Health, Environmental Health
- At least 3 years of proven experience first degree holders and 2 years of work experience for plus post graduate degree in relevant Field.
- Experience in NGO setting is advantageous
- Ability to Communicate in English, and Amharic, and other local languages is a plus.