Job available in these locations:
Requisition ID: req10403
Job Title: Environmental Health Officer
Sector: Emergency Response
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: SNNPR 2, Ethiopia
The Position mainly involves undertaking rapid Environmental Health (EH) need assessments and implementing emergency WASH response. The EHO will be based in Bule-Hora Town, West Guji Zone of Oromia Region and Omo-Rate Town, Dassenech Woreda, South Omo Zone can be deployed to other emerging emergency areas localities) of the country program whenever need.
Major key Responsibilities:
- Undertake detail, precise and brief need assessment report.
- Identify potential water supply scheme to rehabilitate and maintain.
- Conduct rapid and detail project assessment, prepare engineering designs, prepare detail bills of quantities, prepare budget estimates in emergency project throughout the country and forward to supervisor for review.
- Prepare clear and detail specification for items to be procured and ensure its procurements are as per set specifications.
- Prepare takeoff-shit for the best quality and quantity constructed WASH facilities and prepare payment for contractors as well as skilled labor.
- Prepares detail Environmental Health physical & financial implementation plan for emerging emergency responses.
- Source and monitor labor required towards implementation of emergency response interventions and ensure the accurate implementation of the same as per standards.
- Follow the progress and implementation of subcontracted emergency response intervention as per the contract.
- Identify, establish and follow-up water trucking and water treatment sites.
- Works closely with, Zone/Woreda Water and Health Offices towards coordinated, optimum and efficient process of the response.
- Works in collaboration with IRC Hygiene Promotion Officers in promotion of safe hygiene practices in Emergency responses which includes Health Promotion activities.
- Produces activity progress reports as per the preset reporting schedule and submit to the supervisor and Emergency Rapid Response Manager.
- Prepare brief emergency related monthly updates.
- Takes additional works as assigned by supervisor.
- At least 3 years of validated experience for first degree holders in Water resource or Hydraulics Engineering and 2 years for Post plus graduate holders with community mobilization activities in the field and WASH experience
- Confirmed practical work experience in construction/rehabilitation of rural water supply systems especially in spring development, plumbing, construction/maintenance of hand dug wells, installation/repair of hand pumps is a must.
- Experience on handling the construction and maintenance of large-scale motorized schemes specifically deep boreholes has added value.
- Practical experience in leading labor and material at construction site.
- Knowledge of SPHERE standard and Project Cycle management is an asset.
- Experience of engineering software’s like AutoCAD and basic computer skill has value.
- Flexible and committed to work under tight condition.
- Having valuable experience to work with government partners and structures is relevant.
- Experience in budget management, Ability to use computer (basic operating systems, AUTOCAD, WATCAD, EPHANET).
- Demonstrated experience in supervising construction works specially water supply schemes is highly required.
- Experience in NGO will be an asset.