Requisition ID: req10402
Job Title: Environmental Health Officer
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Adama, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing integrated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recover of livelihood of disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions and emergency response.
The Environmental Health Officer is responsible for proper implementation of life-saving emergency WASH response project through planning, implementing, monitoring and supervision of water supply and sanitation construction activities. The position also requires proper management of staff under his supervision, skilled and unskilled labor, construction materials, equipment & other resources under the project, and reporting regularly. The Environmental Health Officer will directly reports to Senior Environmental Health Officer and directly supervisee staffs based in woredas.
- Ensure that projects activities are implemented according to the plan and with adherence to high standards of quality construction and efficiently within the project period.
- Provide the required technical support at site level and supervisee rehabilitation or construction of water supply scheme and sanitation facilities.
- Undertakes detail need assessments and prepare bills of quantities and specifications for project activities.
- Work jointly with ERR team on assessment, WASH NFI & SN NFI client targeting, verification, distribution & PDM.
- Monitor project implementation activities as per set norms and standards of IRC technical drawings & specifications.
- Coordinates activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work activities.
- Inspects all WASH construction materials & works and make on time correction and rectification actions to defected constructions.
- Undertake on site preparation of takeoff measurement to all executed construction works and prepare detail BOQ and payment documents.
- Prepare detail specification for construction materials to be procured, initiate purchase requests, and prepare payments for the completed activities according to IRC financial reference documents & procedure.
- Inspect and ensure the required quantity and quality of construction materials are delivered to construction for each activities as per the specification.
- Follow proper safety procedures and ensure safe working environment and take action before any health or safety risk occur.
- Prepare and maintain records, documents and monitoring plans for the technical supervision & monitoring of projects implementation.
- Prepare scheme detail profile or data and keep recording the necessary information such as GPS, discharge, distance from woreda town, scheme history, and number of beneficiaries.
- Establish and monitor water committees to ensure proper management and maintenance of the water schemes.
- Conduct rapid and detail assessment using IRC’s rapid and detail Assessment checklist and Mechanism tools
- Facilitate monitoring and evaluation schedules for technical team, donor and government authorities.
- Facilitate the handing over of finalized project activities on time to the concerned woreda authorities and follow up of the effective documentation has done.
- Manage the human resource under his/her supervisee, conduct staff performance evaluation under his supervision timely and constructively.
- Participate in WASH & DRM task force meeting whenever required and submit timely report of the meeting.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports and work progress of water supply activities and overall situation including challenges and the next action plans.
- Takes additional works as assigned by supervisor and the department head.
BSc Degree/MSc Degree in Water Supply Engineering or Hydraulic Engineering.
Minimum experience of 3 years for BSc Degree or 2 years for MSc Degree holders.
At least 1 year supervisory experience and basic managerial skills.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrated experience in managing water supply schemes & sanitation facilities construction.
- Knowledge of domestic water supply system of hydraulic design.
- NGO experience on the area of emergency WASH response projects.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and sense of personal integrity.
- Ability to multi-task & carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support.
- Ability to work under pressure & willingness to put in extra hours in emergencies
- Basic computer skills (office), Microsoft office, Excel, word.
- Knowledge of Engineering Software (Water cad, Epanet, Auto CAD, Arc GIS and SPSS).
- Language Skills: Good command of English, Afaan Oromo, and Amharic languages.