Requisition ID: req10440
Job Title: Environmental Health Assistant
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Aleta Wondo, Ethiopia
Under the direct supervision of the EH Officer the EH Assistant will involve in site level planning, construction/rehabilitation and supervision of water supply and sanitation facilities. The position also requires accurate management of skilled and unskilled labor, construction materials, equipment and other resources under the program and reporting periodically to supervisors
Detailed responsibilities and tasks:
- Assist the EH officer in drawing up detailed activity implementation plan, preparation of BOQ and raise Purchase Requests for construction/rehabilitation of water supply and sanitation facilities;
- Assist the EH officer and work closely with the local community and local administration in sitting water supply and sanitation facilities and community mobilization;
- Inspect and ensure the required quantity and quality of construction materials are delivered to construction sites;
- Mobilize, Coordinate and handle labor, material and equipment at site level for the construction/rehabilitation of water supply and sanitation facilities;
- Coordinate and provide the required artisan/technician skill at site level in rehabilitation and/or new construction of water supply facilities (including spring development and construction, hand dug wells construction/rehabilitation, hand pump or rope pumps installation/repair, plumbing and construction of roof top rain water harvesting systems, expansion or connecting health facilities with the existing water supply system);
- Control and provide the required artisan/technician skill in construction of sanitation facilities (including emergency communal latrines, household latrines, slab production, and institutional latrines);
- Keep daily records of construction progresses, material and labor utilization and prepare and submit monthly progress report to his/her supervisor;
- Supervise and collect the required information during supervising the project progress and the project output in the community.
- Prepare completion reports and as built drawings of completed water supply and sanitation facilities and report it to his/her supervisor;
- Prepare scheme detail profile or data and keep recording the vital information such as GPS, discharge, distance from Woreda town, well history, beneficiaries, other NGO working in the area, partner’s involvement, community participation in cash and kind)
- Assist Capacity building assistants in scheme handover and community sensitization whenever required
- Perform other tasks as assigned by his/her supervisor.
- Degree/Diploma in Water Supply Technician, Construction, Water Engineering or related field from universities or Technical and Vocational Training Centers and/or above;
- 3 years of work experience for diploma hold
- 1 year Meaning Full work experience for first degree.
- Minimum of six month IRC Internship service
- NGO experience is a plus.
- Confirmed experience in leading labor and material at construction site;
- Validated experience in mobilizing community to give labor and locally available construction material during construction
- Plus basic computer knowledge (word, excel)
- Basic English spoken and writing.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills