Basic Literacy and Numeracy Teacher
Akkar (2 positions)
Requisition ID: req2748
Job Title: Basic Literacy and Numeracy Teacher – Akkar (2 positions)
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Part-Time
The Basic literacy teacher will be working closely with the Education and Child Protection teams to provide basic literacy classes to street and working children in the child protection street and working children program across Akkar.
Street and working children often lack basic access to service and education. Working alongside case workers and PSS officers conducting psychosocial activities, the BLT will provide tailored lessons according to a specialized curriculum on a weekly basis.
Who this position reports to:
- BLN and SaWC PSS officers
- Provide effective teaching in basic literacy and numeracy to street and working children in locations where psychosocial activities are conducted. For a maximum of 9 hours a week, 3 days a week following curriculum and calendar.
- Implement child –centered teaching methods, and diverse teaching techniques to engage children.
- Maintain a safe and effective teaching / learning environment during the sessions on the street or in a SHLS.
- Enhance communication with parents through though proper communication channels with parents through PSS officers and case workers
- Prepare teaching hand outs and activity sheets prior to sessions where appropriate.
- Assess children’s learning progress using assessment tools, at the beginning implementation of the sessions and on a 3 month basis.
- All IRC staff is required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- BA in Education, teaching diploma or certificate in related fields
- Experience teaching classes to children
- Experience with extremely vulnerable children is a plus
- Demonstrated understanding of working with children and particularly vulnerable children.
- Able to handle pressure well and work in cross-cultural setting.
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic, English speaking is a plus.
- Staunch advocate of child protection and child rights.
Desirable not essential
- Experience working with street and working children
- Experience working with Syrian, Dom and Turkmen communities
International Rescue Committee is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Copyright © International Rescue Committee, 2018
Share this job on your social network and with your friends
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Our vision for every child, life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every heart, the will to make it so.
Our mission: to alleviate suffering, poverty, and oppression by helping people build secure, productive, and just communities.