information system assistant, g-5
bangkok - thailand
|Posting Title:||Information Systems Assistant, G5|
|Job Code Title:||INFORMATION SYSTEMS ASSISTANT|
|Department/Office:||Resource Management Service/OICT|
|Posting Period:||29 January 2018 – 27 February 2018|
|Job Opening Number:||18-Information Management Systems-DM OICT RM-91505-R-Bangkok (O)|
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Inspira Support Centre, which provides support to PeopleSoft based applications for human resource talent management in the global United Nations Secretariat. Inspira Support Centre falls within the Office for Human Resources and Management and is located in Bangkok, Thailand.
Within delegated authority, the Information Systems Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Acts as focal point for receipt and processing of user requests.
• Provides basic technical support on relevant hardware and software systems applications in assigned area.
• Develops, tests, and implements simple computer application systems and programs using UN established standards for information technologies, programming languages, and tools.
• Provides basic support in the planning, specification, design, development, implementation and maintenance of customized application software systems; works with senior IT staff on the definition and specification of requirements; builds, tests and modifies prototype application software based on detailed instructions; installs and maintains software systems.
• Supports senior staff in the creation and maintenance of application software within Lotus Notes, Microsoft Access and web-based architectures, etc.; assists in the preparation of technical and user documentation, as well as in the production of training materials.
• Provides support on software development matters, including security, data integrity and recovery; assists with needs assessment for new systems (including modifications to existing systems); performs ongoing reviews with users and developers and responds to requirements; requests, implements, provides operational support and maintains various applications.
• Maintains regular contact with users and technical staff in user offices and provides support as required.
• Conducts research on new technologies as requested; keeps abreast of developments in the field; assists in testing and evaluating new products and technologies.
• Performs other related duties, as required.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of relevant programming language(s) and basic programming skills. Good technical skills, ability to participate in development and maintenance of applications, provide user support. Ability to respond to changing requirements and assignments, ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
• PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
A minimum of five years of experience in information systems analysis and programming, systems administration and maintenance, software development, technical writing, or a related area, is required. At least two years of experience in ERP like Peoplesoft or Seibel is required. Any exposure to UN ERP applications like Inspira, Umoja or iNeed is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Qualified applicants may be evaluated through a competency-based interview and/or other assessment methods.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis; candidates shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of the ESCAP office, irrespective of nationality and length of time the candidate may have been in the country. If no suitable candidate is identified, overseas candidates will be considered subject to a passing grade on the relevant entry-level examinations at the duty station. The candidate is responsible for any expenses incurred in order to take examination and, in the event of an employment offer, any costs relating to travel and relocation to the duty station.
Must have passed the United Nations Global General Service Test (GGST) at Headquarters or an equivalent locally-administered test at Offices Away from Headquarters.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.