TITLE: Monitoring, Research, Evaluation and Learning Advisor
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Monitoring, Research, Evaluation and Learning (MREL) Advisor for an anticipated multiyear USAID/Nepal adolescent reproductive health/family planning (RH/FP) opportunity.
This position is subject to project award and funding.
The MREL Advisor will provide technical assistance in support of monitoring, research, evaluation and learning activities for this opportunity; and in the development and dissemination of tools, materials, reports, papers, and intervention- linked research. S/he will provide technical guidance by designing and developing monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems and procedures for the project. This includes establishing key components of an M&E system including data collection, analysis, and reporting on key output, outcome and impact indicators for the program and developing data dashboards for real-time reporting. S/he will undertake periodic reviews of program and/or country M&E systems and participate in planning M&E system strengthening actions. S/he will also be responsible for collecting, analyzing, and processing monitoring and evaluation data, assisting in monitoring and reporting against the project’s performance indicators and results, developing methods and milestones to monitor the project’s progress towards its goals, and contributing to program strategy to ensure that activities and assignments are carried out as planned and the program objectives are being achieved.. The position will be based in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Support the Chief of Party in designing and implementation of the monitoring, evaluation, and research plan.
- Develop and ensure application of effective data collection, tracking, and reporting to monitor activity outputs and program quality.
- In collaboration with program staff, develop data and spatial dashboards for reporting and real-time program data review.
- Develop high quality quantitative and qualitative methods and participatory methodologies to monitor program quality for performance and results, particularly any monitoring activities undertaken by consortium partners.
- Provide training to staff, primary stakeholders, and implementing partners on M&E components in project design; such as monitoring plan, assessments, reviews, surveys and evaluations.
- Ensure all research is ethically reviewed and meets quality standards for research design, protocols, abstracts and manuscripts, seeking technical assistance when required.
- Identify best practices for documentation as success stories, technical reports, or peer review publications and reviews surveillance, research and evaluation publications prior to release to stakeholders.
- Continually maintain a dialogue and M&E technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners.
- Review M&E plans and performance monitoring plans for quality and adherence to donor requirements.
- Collaborate with the government representative/departments and other stakeholders for implementation research design and supervise all study conduct and results synthesis for research.
- Collect lessons learned from programs and collaborate with senior management to assure M&E components are of high quality and improve processes and practices in data analysis.
- Oversee data quality audits and monitor data quality and accuracy, immediately reporting any discrepancies to leadership
- Master’s degree or its International Equivalent – Public Health, Epidemiology, Demography, Information Science, International Development, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- At least one prior position of three years or more duration as M&E manager or director for a large health project.
- Minimum of 5-8 years of relevant experience in developing and supporting monitoring systems, preferably in health and RH/FP.
- Has ability to manage projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Demonstrable skills and experience in development of M&E tools, data analysis, data visualization, data use, and assessments.
- Demonstrable skills and experience in developing study protocols, supervising study field activities and data management, and has peer-reviewed publications.
- Experience working with USAID-funded monitoring and evaluation systems highly preferred.
- Experience in supervising technical staff.
- Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
- Proficiency in data management and analytic software e.g. MS Excel, MS Power BI, Tableau, SAS, SPSS, Stata, R
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Nepali.
How to Apply:
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.