The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
Overview of the project: DRC will contribute to enhancing the self-protective capacity and well-being of displacement-affected communities through the provision of legal counselling and assistance in East Amman.
Overall purpose of the role: DRC is looking for an experienced Protection Officer who can provide Syrian and Jordanian beneficiaries with legal information and counselling services on a variety of topics (e.g. legal and civil documentation, housing, land and property rights, and labour rights) through DRC’s Community Centers in East Amman.
About the job
The individual will report directly to the Team Leader-Protection. The main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Deliver updated information sessions and individual counselling to Syrian and Jordanian beneficiaries
- Provide accurate and timely counselling to beneficiaries on a variety of legal topics for all Community Centre Walk-ins and home visits
- Responsible for conducting follow-ups and identifying referrals to services providers using applicable tools and in coordination with referral staff and intensive monitoring of legal cases
- Support the teams in identifying protection and legal programming needs in the area of operation
- Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding beneficiaries concerns in coordination with Protection Teams and Legal Specialist
- Support the Protection Legal Specialist in drafting frequent reports – (technical reporting line to Legal Specialist)
- Support the Protection Legal Specialist in providing capacity building on legal topics to non-technical staff
- Collaboration and coordination with partners and legal aid providers
- Work with the MEAL team and Protection Technical Unit to ensure legal activities are of high quality
- Any other activities, as requested by line manager and Protection Legal Specialist
• Bachelor/ Degree in Law or other related field.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Required / Desirable
• At least 3-4 years of experience in protection work in international organizations and humanitarian settings, specifically including the provision of legal assistance and counseling;
• Ability to maintain confidentiality, respect, non-discrimination and safety of client at all times;
• Computer Literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
• Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility.
• Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
• Flexibility in working overtime when needed;
• Previous experience in working with Syrian refugees in Jordan
• Fluency in written and spoken Arabic & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 6 Month contract including three months as probation period, renewable based on both funding and performance.
Designation of Duty Station:East Amman
Start date: January 2019
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 12 Jan 2019
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.