DRC Jobs in Ethiopia/Djibouti
Program Manager/Deputy Area Manager
- Contribute to the overall strategic direction and programming for DRC’s field operations in Gambella region, including co-leading humanitarian analyses and the development of project proposals.
- Supports the supervision and implementation of DRC’s project portfolio in Gambella region targeting refugee, IDP and host communities, contributing to or leading regular programmatic and budgetary reviews and implementation, staffing and procurement planning.
- In consultations with the Area Manager oversees staff recruitment and daily management of the Gambella-based team, including ensuring positive and collaborative working relationships in line with DRC’s Code of Conduct and assessing staff capacity to provide or recommend relevant training or coaching as needed.
- In the absence of the Area Manager, assume responsibility for managing day-to-day the function of Gambella office, ensuring compliant financial operations and budgeting, administration, human resources, logistics, procurement and security in compliance with DRC and donor regulations.
- Monitor, evaluate and suggest changes and improvements in Emergency program based on observations and discussions with the Area Manager for the emergency response.
- Contributing to or leading the recruitment of national staffing, and capacity building of staff for the emergency response
- In the absence of Area Manager, or if required, represents DRC publicly at the site level, including in coordination fora, with other agencies Local Authorities and with ARRA, and provides the direct link in communications between DRC’s Gambella field office and the Addis Ababa office.
- Maintain a budget overview of the project activities, staffing and procurement, and collaborate closely with the Area Manager and Addis Ababa based finance team to monitor spending and ensure the timely utilization of all grants.
- Ensure full compliance with DRC and donor financial guidelines and policies.
- In the absence of the Area Manager, and if assigned as OIC, DAM has the only approval authority
- Collaborate with the Finance Coordinator and oversees responsibility for daily cash counts as well as cashbook reconciliations.
- Support the Area Manager and Support Team in the development of budgets and spending plans.
- Support the Area Manager and Support Team to develop and maintain a budget overview of all projects and activities and collaborate regularly with the Area Manager and HOSS to monitor spending and ensure the timely utilization of all grants.
- If assigned as OIC or as required, signs the Purchase Requests, Purchase Orders and other procurement documents under its IDRA limits
- Collaborate with the Area Manager, Technical Managers and Logistics Team Leader in Gambella, including Addis Ababa based logistics and procurement team to develop and maintain projects procurement plans.
- Collaborate with the Area Manager to ensure logistics and procurement processes are in place and fully compliant with DRC and donor policies and standards.
- Collaborate with the Area Manager and Logistics and Procurement Officer to ensure field-based records are well managed and fulfill DRC and donor requirements and are always up-to-date for use in donor reports.
- Monitors project budget lines to ensure spending is in line with project timelines and implementation schedules.
- Supports site-level recruitment processes, especially for the project officers and assistants, and ensures that relevant staffing structures are in place and are reflective of appropriate gender balance.
- Promotes professional development by identifying training and capacity building opportunities and ensure staff are well versed in DRC’s code of conduct, accountability, respectful dialogue with the refugee and host population, and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Collaborate with the Area Manager and Addis Ababa human resources department to ensure staff evaluations are conducted on a regular basis.
- Supports the Area Manager in ensuring the responsibility for staff safety in the area of operation.
- Support the Area Manager in ensuring that all relevant information regarding safety, security and the context is collected, updated and shared in a regular and timely manner.
- In the Area Manager’s absence, participates to the ASMT Gambella security briefings and collaborate with DRC’s Safety Advisor, HOSS or Country Director to make decisions and manage security incidents at a local level.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in general project management, managing budgets and activity implementation, and drafting reports and analyses.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience managing staff, preferably at senior level.
- Demonstrated experience working in emergency settings and working with refugees/forced displacement settings is mandatory.
- Knowledge and working experience with various donors such as EC-ECHO, USAID, UNHCR, UNICEF, DANIDA, DFID, on issues relating to refugees and/or humanitarian emergencies, is an asset.
- Technical understanding of at least one of the following sectors: Camp Management, Shelter, WASH, Protection and Livelihoods.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Strong written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software packages and experience using data analysis tools
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relationships with staff members, government officials, and other organizations and stakeholders
- Experience with capacity building and in designing and facilitating trainings and workshops for diverse audience
- Excellent proficiency in MS Office packages
- Experience in living and working within cross-cultural and remote environments
- Ability to work well under high pressure and to take on increasing responsibilities
- Independent thinking and proactive management style
- For this position, early availability to take up the position will be an important consideration in the selection process
- Graduate degree in law, social sciences, education, international development, or other relevant field
- Excellent proficiency in written and spoken Amharic and English
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
Like and Follow us on
Subscribe to our Newsletter
This position is located in Transport Section, United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), Naqoura. The incumbent will report to the Chief Transport Officer or his/her designate.
This position is located in UN Environment, Africa Office the Nairobi duty station. The incumbent will report to the Finance and Budget Officer
This position is located in the the Security and Safety Section, Santiago, Chile. The Security Lieutenant reports to the Inspector of Official In Charge Security Coordination Unit.