The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Algeria, Libya/Tunisia, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman. DRC has 17 offices and approximately one thousand staff members across the MENA region. Following an internal HQ restructuring, from 1st January 2018 the region is focusing on the Middle East, hence Algeria, Tunisia and Libya will transition to a new region during the course of 2018, while Yemen will join the Middle East region.
The Finance Assistant supports the finance officer in all financial issues of the DRC office in Baghdad and all offices in the position locations mentioned above. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
• Assisting Finance officer in managing petty cash for Baghdad Office;
• Assisting Finance officer on daily financial data entry into the standardized DRC cashbooks;
• Assisting Finance officer on perform cash counts with Program Coordinator on a weekly basis;
• Assisting Finance officer in ensuring timely payment of the national staff salaries and all suppliers/partners’ invoices;
• Assisting Finance officer finalizing cash books for submission to FAM on a monthly basis;
• Scanning vouchers and other documents of DRC Iraq to submit to Headquarters
• Verifying that any transaction is supported by proper supporting documentations as per DRC’s financial rules and regulation and proper authorization is obtained prior releasing a payment;
• In co-ordination with administration and logistics, to update DRC inventory/asset list on a monthly basis
• Any other tasks as assigned by Line Manager.
To be successful in this role we expect the following:
• Minimum of two (2) years’ experience working in a similar position.
• Strong written and mathematical skills
• Experience of managing and handling cash
• Experience of working with UN or Non-Governmental organizations.
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to prioritize large and changeable workload
• Good communication skills and ability to work as part of a team
• Able to work independently and energetically
• Relevant university degree or similar education
• Fluent in spoken and written Arabic, English is preferred
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 6 Months
Level: B2 1
Start date: 15 Jan 2019
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 9 Jan 2019
Please note: that given the urgency of vacancy the position may be filled before the due date.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo