BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in 100 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from disaster response to food and nutrition to education and work for women and girls to healthy mothers and children. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because when they have equal access to resources, they lift their families and communities out of poverty. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for 75 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us, and Fight with CARE.
Work Location : US- Washington, DC Type of Post : Not Applicable
Other Possible Location : Funding : APPROVED
Expected Travel : up to 30% Type of Contract :
Language Requirement : ENGLISH Application Deadline :
Employee Duration : Active Full-Time
CARE is seeking a Business Development Specialist who will be a part of the Institutional Funding & Strategy (IFS) team and who will play a key role in the oversight, management, and quality control of the entire proposal development process. This person will ensure a compliant and donor-responsive proposal, that meets both funder and CARE requirements and internal standards. Particularly, the Business Development Specialist coordinates the development of proposals, primarily to the US Government including both prime and sub bids under $20 million. This role includes: coordinating IFS support to CARE CO’s responding to USG bids, as assigned; liaising with partners; helping conceptualize the CARE role in potential projects; reviewing draft proposals for quality and compliance; leading proposal development efforts, as assigned, and on occasion being deployed to the field to manage the proposal process and facilitate design workshops.
The Business Development Specialist works closely with the other members of IFS and with CO and HQ staff to ensure responsiveness to the requirements of the RFP/A, and consistency with CARE’s best practices and CO needs and interests. He/she develops and maintains systems to facilitate CARE’s response to RFPs/As; prepares analytical reports of past CARE experience to reflect on lessons learned. Additionally, he/she will be tasked with designing and facilitating workshops to build CARE staff capacity to successfully pursue bids. Lastly, the Business Development Specialist plays an important role in advocating for proposals to reflect CARE’s proposal and programming standards.
- Oversees, coordinates and is ultimately responsible for ensuring the preparation, writing, editing, review, management and timely submission of technical and cost proposals and other funder or IFS required materials
- Actively coordinate with assigned PPL unit (currently Water+ and FWS) to review USG forecast and facilitate advance planning and positioning for strategic opportunities
- Support ongoing IFS efforts to improve its business development processes, particularly those relevant to his/her position. This includes contributing to the development, maintenance, and promotion of CBU’s BD Guide as well as supporting development of training models, guidance documents, and best practices for capacity building in areas relevant to his/her position
- Manage IFS Interns (if applicable): Mentor and coach staff and provide ongoing feedback and supervision
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in development studies, or field that emphasizes critical writing and thinking skills
- At least four (4) years experience in proposal development (in at least a part-time capacity); At least two years experience in program management or design
- Excellent writing skills with special emphasis on clear, persuasive language; strong editing skills; knowledge of US government proposal requirements; and ability to work under tight deadlines
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at email@example.com.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.