SAFETY AND SECURITY MANAGER
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in 100 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from disaster response to food and nutrition to education and work for women and girls to healthy mothers and children. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because when they have equal access to resources, they lift their families and communities out of poverty. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for 75 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us, and Fight with CARE.
Work Location : Mozambique – Pemba Type of Post : Unaccompanied
Other Possible Location : Funding : APPROVED
Expected Travel : up to 50% Type of Contract :
Language Requirement : ENGLISH Application Deadline :
Employee Duration : Short Term Contract
The SSM will ensure that CARE staff are working in an environment consistent with accepted minimum safety and security standards. This encompasses the training of staff in security awareness, development of security plans and mainstreaming the individual and collective sense of safety and security awareness and responsibilities consistent with CARE’s policies.
The EQ SSM is the principle advisor to the Country Director and Emergency Team Leader for relevant emergency response safety and security matters and will work closely with the emergency response team. S/he will advise on security challenges, develop risk assessments and propose risk reduction measures in addition to developing, maintaining, updating and implementing security protocols and procedures according to the changing situation. The EQ SSM will report non-compliance issues to the Country Director and the CARE Security Unit as required.
The SSM will provide direct technical supervision of the SSO Beira and Pemba. This will include, helping to prioritize assignments and actions; mentor the SSO in general safety and security best practices and in line with CARE protocols;
Criteria for success in this post are; a clear vision and demonstrable leadership qualities, the ability to communicate issues of safety and security in a credible and consultative fashion and a professional approach that engages support and empowers strong decision making. S/he will also develop a solid working knowledge of CAREs programs and operations and have a strong understanding of humanitarian programming approaches.
S/he will report to the Emergency Team Leader based in Pemba, advise the Country Director with technical oversight from the Regional Security Manager.
Implement and maintain CARE Security Protocols.
- Provide thorough, regular safety and security analysis and in-house briefings for staff and visitors in coordination with the SSO.
- Ensure the provision of a detailed and appropriate initial safety briefing to all newly arriving staff and visitors; including general safety policies and procedures, site specific issues and an analysis of the present local security situation.
- Ensure that policies and procedures are understood and respected, at all times, and are implemented in relation to project activities.
- Ensure that CARE’s Gender policies including the Gender in Security guidelines are foremost in the implementation of CARE security procedures and protocols.
- Support HR in implementation of PSEA policies and especially where staff safety and security is concerned in accordance with the CO SSMP.
- Ensure radio and sat communications systems are maintained in good working order.
Provide updates and information on security situation and incidents
- Brief the Emergency Team Leader (ETL), upon specific needs the Country Director (CD), and other members of the CO, and response teams as required on security developments within the area of operations.
- Brief new staff of security protocols and orientation of the organization’s standard operating procedures.
- Prepare and present security reports for the CO on a regular and ongoing basis including appropriate information for managers and coordinators to assist in their decision-making processes.
- Prepare reports for the RSM and CSU as requested by them such as the Monthly Security Report, FLASH messages, SitReps, Updates, etc.
- Provide technical advice to CO and field offices in respect of staff safety and security.
- Investigate all safety and security related incidents affecting the emergency response and/or staff and report findings and recommendations to the HD and CD.
Provide Safety and training for CO staff
- Provide safety and security awareness, critical incident, crisis management and other related training for staff.
- Facilitate, provide support and train in the proper use of common communications including VHF radio networks and satellite phones according to radio protocols and other communications technologies.
- Attend all agency safety and security briefings and other fora.
- Network with other security officers and organizations to obtain information which can used analyzed to better understand the security environment and through this develop standard operating procedures relevant to the security setting in which programs are being implemented.
- University Degree in related field
- Extensive experience in developing and managing security strategies and plans for their operations
- Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions
- Functionally capable in spoken and written Portuguese.
- Demonstrated sound judgment and the ability to work effectively with others at all levels
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills
- IT literate, MS – Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience in developing security related technical tools guidelines and systems
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage under stressful conditions
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.