BRAC’s vision is a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. The organisation was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 and acts as a catalyst, creating opportunities for people to transform their lives. BRAC believes in integrity, inclusiveness, effectiveness, and innovation in all areas of work. BRAC uses an integrated model to change systems of inequity, through social development programmes, humanitarian response, social enterprises, socially responsible investments and a university. It operates in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings in 11 countries across Asia and Africa.
BRAC is a global leader in developing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes, and has been ranked the #1 NGO in the world for the last five years consecutively by NGO Advisor.
Head of Documentation Review, Legal and Compliance
- Ensure supervision and administrative responsibilities, performance management and disciplinary processes for documentation review staff. Manage budget and expenses for documentation review affairs. Responsible for internal audit responses on documentation review affairs.
- Lead, manage and develop documentation review staff and their tasks with efficient systems and processes for continuity of work and optimal delivery. Maintain documentation review tracking system and report regularly to department managers on progress of tasks.
- Collaborate and work with senior and departmental leadership in identifying, reducing and mitigating potential or actual legal risks, areas of legal compliance and protection of legal interests in documentation reviews.
- Draft, review and give legal opinions on legal documents (agreements, contracts, MoU, etc.) compliant with laws and internal policies/procedures, ensuring remedies and enforcement with reduced legal exposure and risks.
- Draft, review, conduct legal research, prepare legal memorandum and give legal opinions on laws, legal claims, legal issues (including employment issues) and internal organisational documents, identifying potential legal risks, assessing the issues impacting legal risk and possible mitigations. Draft, review and monitor registration and defence of intellectual property rights and licences.
- Liaise with and monitor legal matters referred to external legal counsel; maintain contracts, ensure payment of legal bills and evaluate performance of external legal counsel for documentation reviews.
- Supervise and maintain circulation by documentation review staff of updates in relevant laws, internal organizational documents and legal developments, within the department.
- Learn and perform other department jobs including potential/existing litigation matters, operation/maintenance of case management database, compliance related tasks etc.
- Visit and make representations, as necessary, field offices, branches, courts, tribunals and other dispute resolution forums, govt. offices, law chambers, enterprises and other places as assigned.
- Communicate among Head Office department staff and with Field Office department staff as necessary, on responsibilities and tasks assigned. Understand and ensure compliance with organizational policies and procedures. Maintain confidentiality when preparing, sharing and storage of information and documents.
- Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the programme’s goals on safeguarding implementation. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
- Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor and department from time to time.
- LLB (Hons.) from any recognised University with minimum second class in all exams/CGPA 2.5 and above or equivalent and having foreign law degree from England or commonwealth jurisdiction will be given preference.
- Minimum experience of 8 years in drafting and reviewing commercial legal documentation, in development, financial or business organisations, or in law chambers with commercial law practice.
- Assessment of potential or existing litigation.
- Review of internal investigations, potential or completed.
- Administrative tasks within the department.
- Facilitate legal training for department staff.
- Any other task assigned by the Director from time to time.
Salary & Benefits
Other Benefits: Festival Bonus, Contributory Compulsory Provident Fund, Gratuity, Health & Life Insurance and others.
Job Location: BRAC Head Office
Last Apply Date: 17/Oct/2020
BRAC believes every one of its employees, suppliers, downstream partners, visitors, clients and community including children, youth and vulnerable adults that come into contact regardless of age, race, religion, gender, disability or ethnic origin has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation. We guarantee assessment of candidates with disabilities who meet the essential requirements. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will do everything possible to ensure that those who are suitable to work within our values and beliefs are recruited to work for us. Any personal persuasion will result in disqualification of candidature.
Join the world’s biggest family
Or You may apply through careers.brac.net or send your updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning the name of the position in subject line.